Flights delays and miles/coupons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by SgtPeppers, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a flight from DFW to PIA and this flight was turned around in mid air because of de-icing test failed. We landed back to DFW and the flight was then cancelled. I am booked to a flight later today and was given meal coupons.

The delay to reach my destination is close to 12 hours from the original time. Can anyone advice whether meal coupons are enough or should I get some miles as part of the inconvenience? Due to this I had to miss half day of my work, get a ride back to my place in DFW.

First question: Can I pursue this further to get miles/coupons?
    Second question: How would you recommend pursuing this?

Anyone who has experience similar incidents, please advice.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hey Nipun -

I'm guessing you were flying on American, correct? As a general rule, you can always pursue it further. Whether or not you get anywhere with it is another matter entirely!

For a 12 hour delay, I'd say you're looking pretty good at getting some miles as compensation. AA isn't as quick to give out freebies as some other airlines, but they do give them out and I think your situation is certainly more severe then other situations I've read about that received compensation.

The best way to address it would be to send a short, concise email to customer service explaining what happened. Avoid embellishing the story, or giving unneeded details (they don't need to know that there was a baby crying on the plane, etc).

Good luck!

3. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your response. Appreciate it.

Any other suggestions from the experts?