Flight Tracker Apps - Do You Have a Favorite?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by MSYgirl, Nov 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

10 Flight Tracker Apps That Will Make Any Trip Less Stressful
    [​IMG]
    Traveling during the holiday season is not generally a very relaxing experience thanks to crowds and flight delays—but there are ways to make the ordeal a lot less stressful thanks to handy little things called flight tracker apps. These pieces of software—easily downloadable on a smartphone or tablet—not only track your flight and alert you to delays, they’ll often go above and beyond, allowing you to pinpoint your exact location at 40,000 feet, and even giving you a rundown of the best places to eat during your six-hour layover. With scores of flight tracker apps to choose from, we’ve picked 10 of the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    vickers, anileze and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great "consumer reports"-type article on flight tracker apps! I'm interested in hearing more about the utility and usefulness of flight tracker apps. Are they simply a geek-friendly way to get more information about your flight? Are they any better than the various apps/notifications provided by the airlines? For example, I'm reasonably happy with the SWA flight app, and it almost always provides all the information about my SWA flights that I need, when I need it.

Newscience

anileze likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Flight Aware all the time when I'm picking someone up at the airport. I can watch to see where they are, and if they are delayed I know to leave later than originally planned so I don't waste time (and rack up parking bills) at the airport.

Used it a couple of weeks ago waiting for a flight of my own which was delayed. Useful to know how long to stay in the lounge instead of heading to the gate. And the real-time info was much more accurate than the displays in the lounge.

MSYgirl, Newscience and anileze like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you YULtide, for your expert testimony! I'll definitely check out Flight Aware! As I fly SWA domestically 95% of the time, the SWA flight app and their notification service (that you sign up for when you make a reservation- via phone call, text message, or email) has worked reasonably well for me. There have been one or two "epic fails" over the last few years with the SWA notification service, so I wouldn't mind exploring a back-up app. Most of my "lounge time" is when on international flights, and so I'm of course curious to see if Flight Aware will also work for these flights. :cool:
    Again this is much appreciated!

Newscience

MSYgirl and YULtide like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flight Aware. Both the app and website.

6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flightradar24 website crashes on both Chrome and Safari when used on my iPad. As soon as I perform a search fora specif flight, poof! It crashes. The app is worthless and I always used the website. It now appears both are worthless

7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The flightradar24 website crashes on both Chrome and Safari when used on my iPad. As soon as I perform a search fora specif flight, poof! It crashes. The app is worthless and I always used the website. It now appears both are worthless

8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use FlightView with FlightAware as a backup. Flightview is easy to use and shows where your flight is coming from to help gauge delays if any.
    More basic then many of the others, but it's quick and easy to use, and I've verified its accuracy at times from the airline's own websites.
    Also see Flightstats for delay averages for different flights.

9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I use FlightAware and Flightradar24, both the app and on the laptop. Flightradar 24 can be quirky, but when it works, it is excellent. It doesn't show flight plans like FlightAware does, but if the aircraft is yellow rather than orange, indicating it has ADS-B radar capability, you get real time, showing climb and descent rates, without the usual 5 minute delay.