flight to LIH canceled, vacation lost?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by hihik, Oct 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    together with my wife we booked an award travel BOS-PHX-LIH-PHX-BOS back in january, departing end of october. sheraton poipu was booked with points consequently. were very happy and excited about the upcoming trip (late honeymoon).
    today i got a call at work and lady told me that our flight has been canceled and they can't get us on another one so they will be returning the miles .. currently under my reservations i only see BOS-PHX-BOS. i checked the schedules and indeed no flights to LIH on that date (oct 25 departing and 31 return)

i'm going to call and try to figure this out in the evening, but from your experience what are our options? can i ask to be re-routed or flown by another carrier? if there's no way will they make us pay the canceling fee for BOS-PHX-BOS? any advice will be apreciated ..

2. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    http://reservations.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/programdetails/memberguide.html

doesn't this imply that they have to re-rout us? what are US Airways' procedures?

3. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usairways.com/en-EU/travel_information/ticketing_policies/default.html

the fact that they're keeping one segment on our reservation makes me think i'll have to fight the fee in worst case scenario of canceling the trip entirely ..

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is for award travel? Check star alliance partners.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For now, having those flights keeps the PNR "alive" which could be to your advantage. They ultimately can't either charge you (miles) for the RT just to Phoenix or charge you a fee to cancel the rest of your itinerary.

Before calling them, try to find flights that will work for you, regardless of whether they are available for award travel. Look especially at US and partner flights, through any (even normally illegal, but do give yourself ample and legal connection times) routing. Can you find flights to elsewhere in Hawaii and ask to have US buy the inter-island segments if needed? Can you consider a minor change in dates? (Check hotel availability before suggesting this.)

You will do much better if you make a proposal for what you want when you call and have several backup possibilities in mind. They are more likely to be willing to put you on your own or their partners' flights rather than other carriers, although the flights within Hawaii could be an exception. Or you could offer to pay for HNL-LIH or similar (or a change in hotel plans that will cost more) yourself in exchange for an upgrade or something.

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    United flies to LIH. You should be able to get yourself from BOS to SFO or LAX and from there to LIH on a partner award.

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would push US to either get you to LIH on a partner, or worst case, if they still fly to HNL, book you to HNL and you have to pay for an interisland flight. They should open up last seat availability for your on their own metal since they canceled.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continental seems to have saver pass coach seats for your dates, which should be available to US as well.

9. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks a lot everyone for your support and advice. here's what i'm getting on ita-matrix:

[​IMG]

this flight is just about an hour off from our original flight time, fits our flight from and to BOS perfectly. what are my chances to have us booked on this flight at no additional cost?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty good. Better if you actually call in and start talking to US instead of thinking about it there. ;)

Your line with them should be, "Aren't there any partner flight options that will work to save our trip?"

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks, Aramean. on the call right now with Natty .. had to tell her about this flight and then she said that they can't get me on Hawaiian, when I insisted they put me to wait .. and i'm still waiting ..

12. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    i could hear the call-center chatter in the background but now it's total silence but the call is still going ..

13. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    hung up and calling again :(

14. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    they aren't willing to "protect" me on hawaiian ...

15. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    and indeed they did. success! but with a 5 hour layover in HNL

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Better than nothing, I suppose.

Two thoughts on this "problem" that you now have:
    1) Walk out of the airport at the baggage claim level and follow the road around past the gas station and cross the street there. About another 100 yards up on the left there is a strip mall with a number of good dining options, including an L&L if you want a plate lunch upon arrival during the layover.

2) Talk to the HA folks once you're back in the terminal and see if you can stand by to fly earlier. Even paying $50 each is probably better than camping out at HNL.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the OP...I think you did pretty well with this...it can be frustrating sometimes but when you push and follow their own Contract of Carriage you will prevail in the end!

18. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks again, guys.

aramean, that's how i'm looking at it - we got 3 hours to check out HNL :D
    DIG/R, it was indeed frustrating .. but happy that it turned out well

our reservations online updated and show the segments to/fro hawaii .. one nagging thought now is that PHX-HNL segment won't allow me to pick seats - not "seats map not available" thing, but the entire map appears booked with no 'open' seats i can select for us (except a few premium seats at $35 a piece) .. will have to call and clarify this. if you had a similar situation, please, let me know.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With only a 5 hour layover I wouldn't leave the airport area to head towards the beach. You're looking at 30-40 minutes in a taxi each way and what you get down there is pretty crappy. Not worth it IMO.

20. hihik

hihik Active Member

Status Points:
    noted, thanks

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Ala Moana mall isn't bad, you might be able to fit that into a 5 hour layover. But really, I don't care that much for Honolulu, and your best bet is to go standby on an earlier flight.