Flight Thoughts/Help on RTW in C to Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Sean Colahan, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

I am looking to cash some points in this week to book my wife and I to Japan in Business Class using 90K US Airways Miles. I have a few different options, though am limited on availability and wondering the groups thoughts.

TATL Options (we live in Boston)
    LH BOS-FRA on 744
    Lot JFK-WAW on 787

Cross Euro/Asia Options
    LH FRA-HND on 744
    TK IST-KIX on 332

NH NRT-SJC on 787 (no brainer here)

We don't mind flying Lufthansa's old business class, though I would only prefer it on one leg as I would like to try different airlines. Would like to try Austrian, but availability seems to be nil.

Also will we run into any problems leaving for this trip on the east coast and returning to the west coast (as there is currently no saver award availability domestically into BOS.

Anyone have any other suggestions they might want to try. We are leaving July 2 or 3, would like to spend at least 24 hours in a European city, and returning from Japan 7/13.

Can you have a stopover (in a Star Alliance hub) and an open jaw on US Airways award ticket? (aka if we stopped in europe from 7/3 to 7/5, take the TK flight to KIX and depart home from NRT.

All help, suggestions, and out of the box thinking is welcome.