Flight schedule change – How to proceed?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DrG, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to say that for the first time one of my flight reservations on shows upgrade pending status on the UA website. Unfortunately, I also noticed that the originating flight time showing a departure of nearly 2 hours later than I had originally booked it for. Taking the new flight at this time would cause me to arrive in Chicago over 1hr after the departure of my connection flight, which has not changed.

This itinerary was booked through Orbitz as a Continental codeshare on United metal – so I could perhaps understand why I was not notified of this change. I am just lucky I caught it early (the outbound is scheduled for end of May). When checking the PNR on the continental website, I do get a red change notification – but only for a small change on the return flight, not the outbound illegal routing.

While I assume I will have to call CO or UA to get this straightened out, what is the best way to proceed? Is there a possibility to work this to my advantage somehow? Could I make changes to the dates or routing of the itinerary? I booked this itinerary in attempt to maximize EQM and cpm. If there are changes to the itinerary, would I be able to receive original routing credit? Could I potentially change routing add a segment to increase my mileage? I would like to preserve my placement on the upgrade list – perhaps even increase my chances of an upgrade or bump.

Thanks for any advice on how to proceed.

2. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noticing that you are a UA 2P I would call UA and check with them, I believe if the change is 90 minutes or more they should help you with a viable schedule alternative. Perhaps other could chime in with ideas. When you do call make sure you are happy before you accept the changes, once you do that I believe you have no recourse...

sdcarver

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA will likely not touch this ticket as it was booked with Orbitz. Call Orbitz and the agent will have to contact the UA travel agent support desk to select a legal flight and reticket.

sdcarver likes this.
  4. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not booking UA tickets through Orbitz since I have been UA Elite I was not sure about this... Thanks for the clarification.

sdcarver

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had something similar happen on an Orbitz-booked, UA ticket stock, UA codeshare, CO metal itinerary where I would have misconnected in IAH; UA wouldn't touch it, had to have Orbitz fix it up.