Flight price comparison fight ramps up

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Aug 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Flight price comparison fight ramps up

Is this really something that requires legislation? Is it really protecting consumers...or rather informing them?

uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, just give me the final cost of the flight, all-in. When shopping flights the all-in price is what really matters.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the EU legislation has kicked in, always when I book a flight, I see the full price / all-in immediately. I'm very pleased about this that legislation could be provided which works for the passengers and not against them. To be honest, the pricing structure at most airlines was out of control before IMHO, now I find booking a flight much more pleasurable.:)

sobore likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This only works when the consumer believes he/she needs protection. [ Which becomes more critical with un-regulated fees the airlines charge and add ever more in the future too IMHO ]

As in the EU's case, it can help to have regulation in place, but again, both sides [ regulators and consumers ] in the boat must see the light first.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for the seat width/pitch/padding/recline, mileage accrual of the fare in FF programs, baggage allowance if I anticipate checking anything, snack or meal is I'm hungry in coach, maybe a movie on IFE.

Some aspects can certainly be commoditized and are very useful to have easy access to, but other ancillary fees/services do not lend themselves well to trying to compare pricing without context, even without touching on the shenanigans of carriers like ryanair.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .......common sense needed here.:D