Flight policy change called a risky manoeuvre

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an old story that CBC did an 'expose' about two years ago. Has there been an appreciable increase in crashes? Or is it just a ploy to feather bed more union jobs at Transport Canada? Given the number of posts complaining about flight delays due to maintenance issues, it is clear AC gives priority to making sure its planes are fit to fly.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe it was or is a slow news day at the CBC as this is from today ... I guess they felt they needed to raise it again for some reason?

4. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The whole issue is actually much older than that as I recall posting about SMS on FT as far back as mid-2007 and following it for a few years every once a while when a similiar story would come along, most of which were based on union complaints.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So is this one based on a union complaint? and if so, do we know what?

6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't say this story was but that others in the past have. The linked article quotes a former federal Transport Canada inspector unhappy with the "new" system.

BTW I put new in quotation as the seed of SMS goes all the way back to 1999 though the more formal program started in 2005.

7. I don't think this is a union issue at all. TC bureaucrats see lots of things during routine inspections particularly at smaller carriers where most incidents occur.
    Its nice to blame the bureaucracy for being overzealous but I think TC is just being proactive here and are probably getting nowwhere flagging it to the government minister in charge.

ACMM likes this.
  8. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:

OTTAWA, Nov. 10, 2011 /CNW/ - Safety Management Systems (SMS) continue to be a valuable tool to enhance safety in aviation and other transportation industries in Canada, according to the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l (ALPA), the world's largest non-governmental aviation safety organization.
    "SMS programs ensure continuing safety by combining the appropriate levels of incentive for front-line employee reporting, internal auditing and regulatory oversight," said Capt. Dan Adamus, president of ALPA's Canada Board. "Canada is a world leader in adopting SMS programs in its marine, rail, and aviation industries, and ALPA is proud to be part of that effort."
    "ALPA has collaborated with Transport Canada, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, and our government and industry partners internationally to explore the most modern, effective ways of doing business," said Capt. Lee Moak, ALPA's president. "We will continue these partnerships at every opportunity to do all we can to move aviation safety programs forward."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/487119#ixzz1dLmC03cX

ACMM likes this.