Flight diversion and extra miles?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by chef4u, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a flight form PHL to DFW which was diverted to IAH due to weather. After almost 6 hours in IAH, both on the tarmac and at the gate, the plane flew IAH to DFW.

So...in this day and age of miles and status, do I qualify for 2 flights and the appropriate miles?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You wouldn't qualify for that as you were on a flight from PHL to DFW. I know it sucks when you have to divert and wait it out in another city before getting to your final destination but it was weather-related so you're not going to be getting anything. Customer Service might throw a few miles your way for the inconvenience but you're not entitled to anything.

blackjack-21 and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most airlines' COC say the'll get you to your destination, but no guarantee as to when or how late. Weather delays are not reasons to give compensation, although mechanicals usually get some offers of points, cash or certificates for discounts, etc.

As DIG/R_1K mentions, it doesn't hurt to ask for a few million miles in compensation, but don't expect or be disappointed if they don't come through with even a few.

4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont think you "qualify" but it does not hurt to ask. If you have status with them, they may be more willing to give you goodwill miles.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was a weather diversion I have never ever heard of an airline giving miles for such not even if you have super-duper status. Besides how much miles are we talking here... 200??

LETTERBOY likes this.