flight delay compensation

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by weblets, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. weblets

weblets New Member

Status Points:
    my apologies if the following has already been discussed but I am new to trying forums I would appreciate any advice on a recent offer from united airlines of 1000 dollar each e-ticket or 30,000 air mileage plus miles each for flight delay compensation under new e u regulation which would seem to be the better offer we are based in London

Newscience likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    My general advice in these cases is "take the cash". That gives you the most flexibility to use it as you wish rather than on a carrier you may not want to fly again.

Looking deeper: many of us value UA miles somewhere around US$.02@. (Range perhaps 1.6-2.6 cents.) That's consistent with using a 25k domestic saver award when one might have instead spent $400-500 cash. People who value premium cabin redemptions might place a higher value on the miles.

Since UA has only offered 30k miles, take the money, keeping in mind that future paid tickets, even if paid with travel credits, earn more miles, whereas award tickets do not.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    ffitalia, Flyer1976, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  3. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the money as well.

4. banane

banane Member

Status Points:
    +1

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, too, would take the cash over the points, especially at that ratio, but I'm also a bit more curious about the circumstances. That $1000 is almost certainly a TCV, not cash, and if departing the EU a proper cash payment might be called for.

We need more details here. What actually happened??

8MiHi likes this.
  6. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lucky you.. I had problems with TACA and they gave me a compensation of 400$ (as credit towards a next flight) that I never ever used since was a credit with them (and is not transferable!) and TACA don't flies to CLT, which is where I'm based. If they offer you real cash, always take it..

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  7. weblets

weblets New Member

Status Points:
    this is compensation under new EU rules for a cancelled flight London to Indianapolis in 2010 for myself and my wife as we have no experience of air miles
    we were curious to know if 30,000 miles each would get us back to Indianapolis or should we take the e-tickets at 1000 dollars each I have posed this question to united but they seem to have gone quiet on the matter

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are they offering you $1,000 in cash, $1,000 in travel credits or new tickets which you are valuing at $1,000??

The 30,000 miles is enough for a one-way economy class award from London to the USA but that is capacity controlled and you'll still need to pay taxes and fees to the tune of $150-200 on that award.

The $1,000 option is probably the correct choice in 90% of the scenarios I can think of, but if it is a choice between $1,000 in TCVs or $800 in cash, for example, I'd likely take the cash, not the credit.

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've repeatedly been on long-haul UA flights where $200 vouchers were handed out to all coach pax upon deplaning, for no food/video, etc. available on the flight. Since I've never used the vouchers, they get thrown away. Take the cash and run! ;)

adrianors likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can always give them away to friends and such. :)

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    WA, I promise to post them on Milepoint the next time that this occurs! ;)
    BTW, I missed a good photo-op the last time, when the trash can outside of the walkway from the airplane was overflowing with these vouchers! :rolleyes:
    Newscience

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Pretty sure the days of vouchers for broken things on UA planes is gone.

To the OP, if you're getting cash or a travel voucher I would certainly take the $1,000. While there are scenarios where you can get $1,000 in value out of 30K miles, they're few and far between. And, as others have said, cash is way more flexible. Plus, buying tickets with cash earns more miles. ;)

13. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats true.. I got two vouchers from United, one 50$ value and one 100$.. both expired now and in the trash.. sucks but sometimes it just happens..

Newscience likes this.
  14. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    30k miles = Free ticket
    1000 bucks = Free ticket, miles + something for your wife (or dog, yourself or even a guinea pig! )

Newscience likes this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a couple of years since I've been handed one of those UA vouchers. Pizzaman may be right in that UA no longer hands out vouchers for things breaking down on the plane while travelling in long-haul steerage class. I guess that I'll wait and see what happens the next time that occurs. I can tell you that hearing the announcement that "crew members will be handing you a gift from us at United for your inconvenience" is enough to fool some of us irate sheeple in steerage seating! :rolleyes:

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had two instances this year, one with a broken light the other broken IFE. In both cases the FA told me no more on-board vouchers. Now, that doesn't actually make it so, but that's my small examples from this year. Heck, I had one legit 3-hr+ delay where they told us to hit the "we're sorry" link and key in our flight info. The info for vouchers/miles never got loaded. A call to MP customer service yielded a "no", and then a follow-up via e-mail a few days later where they finally issued some miles.

Newscience likes this.
  17. weblets

weblets New Member

Status Points:
    The offer is $1000 dollar e- ticket each

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Take the $1K e-cert and run. :)

19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pizzaman, this is a sad turn of affairs for UA customer relations, but perhaps they really just don't care! :mad: The vouchers that I had received a couple of years ago were for plane-wide screw-ups on a long-haul run: all the IFE DNF in the entire coach section, no meals in coach class available, etc. As I've said, the UA vouchers has been worthless to me - I'll gladly give mine away - but it did at least demonstrate the willingness of UA to value your inconvenience because of their equipment, logistics failures. With that modicum of understanding gone, why fly UA whenever you have a choice of air carriers?
    Newscience

Absofreakinlutely! :rolleyes:

Counsellor likes this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My IFE issue was plane-wide, no voucher. I have plenty of friends that used to enjoy the multiple vouchers for problems like this on UA. I remember saying to them at the time (before becoming a UA flyer as well as an AA flyer) that I would certainly prefer planes that didn't break to vouchers if I had my choice.

Unfortunately, UA seems to have chosen the former. Things still break, planes are still late, yet compensation has reduced considerably. I'd still rather they just got things right. I've got the PQDs to make 1K from my 2014 travel, just not sure I have the desire.

Newscience likes this.
  21. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see a dumpster-diving opportunity there.:D

Newscience likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but...

If it actually was a valid EU261 claim then the OP might be entitled to 600 euro in cash. That's about $825 or GBP 500 today. Not as high an absolute amount but the ease of spending the cash might make it more compelling, especially if there's no plan to fly a lot on UA in the next year.

anileze likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Good point. If e-certs count as PQDs, I would take the $1K e-cert. If not, I'd have to dust off my brain cells to give it some more serious thought.

anileze likes this.
  24. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    But... His flight cancellation was in 2010. What are the time limit rules ? Like everybody else, I'd use the the e-cert instead of miles.