Flight Change mileage

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bjdriscoll, Oct 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I know the answer to my question, but I am unable to find the answer elsewhere so I thought I'd check here.

I need to push a flight from MCO-SEA back one weekend. The original flight goes through IAH but, in an effort to gain a few extra EQMs, I'm looking to change to go through EWR.

1. Is there any way to get the change fee waived? (I'm only Silver at present)
    2. The mileage accrual will be based on the changed flight (through EWR) not the original flight (through IAH), correct? (The reason I'm confused is because when I go to change the flight online, there is no display of any mileage for any flight.)

Thanks for the help.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Nope, unless you're buying up to F or something or have a flexible Y fare.
    2. The route you fly will be the miles you earn.

bjdriscoll likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    When you change a ticket prior to departure, you are generally cancelling one itinerary and buying a new ticket. You'll pay a fee for this privilege with most fares. Although the most common way to get out of a change fee is an airline schedule change which doesn't work for you. Guessing that doesn't apply in this situation.

You'll earn miles for the itinerary you actually fly.

bjdriscoll likes this.
  4. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:

Thank you, Mackieman, that's what I thought on both counts. On a positive note, the additional mileage of going through EWR will bump me to Gold once again.

Gleff, the initial outbound flight was changed by five minutes. I am going to call in the morning and see what I can do but I'm guessing that won't be enough. I'm naive when it comes to changes; all the years I've been flying, I've never once had to change a flight.

Mackieman likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No 5 minutes isn't enough. I don't recall whether the current rule is 1 hour or 2 hours...?

6. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I didn't think so. It can't hurt to try but I'm not expecting anything and I'm certainly not going to push the issue if the answer is no. I've already looked into it and the change fee total won't be too bad.

Thank you both for the prompt replies.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    1:30 I believe but I have had them be flexible if it was 1:00 or so...

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per the current Contract of Carriage, it's officially two hours.