Flight change allows only 15min gate to gate

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by konoyaro, Mar 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that United made a flight change to an upcoming itinerary that moves my gate to gate transit time at EWR from 40min to 15min. I thought 40min was already tight but 15min seems highly unlikely.
    In fact, I didn't know such a short transfer was allowable and I'm surprised their change did not also result in a change to the connecting flight.

There are a couple later flights with availability in case I can't make the connection and I'm debating to leave it as is and see what happens or to reduce the element of chance and ask United to move me to a later flight (current flight is 737-900, next two are both 757-200 fwiw).

Which would you choose?

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there was a schedule change you can call UA and rebook the flight to a suitable schedule without a fee. You should be proactive about it and call them now.

3. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    May not a legal connection time. Why br stressed about it when you can get ahead of it now and secure a seat on one of the later flights

genemk2, 8MiHi, konoyaro and 3 others like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    certainly not within the allowed time frame. Call immediately and insist on a change.

daninstl and konoyaro like this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That can be a real pain when it happens without suitable options, but it can also be an opportunity. I'm flying from SJO to MCO on Tuesday. My original flight was scheduled through IAH, but a schedule change made the international connection time impossible. A call to the 1K desk, and I'm now booked through EWR with a 1:15 connection time. The day was already blown anyway, so I loved getting the extra miles. I'm in paid F, too, so it's 150% of 700 more miles. :)

chrislacey, 8MiHi and daninstl like this.
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    15 min is crazy short. If I had the time, I'd chance it as an adventure, but if you actually need to be somewhere I'd reschedule.

8MiHi, konoyaro, ella and 1 other person like this.
  7. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, the system will pick up this issue (due to a delay, etc.) & will protect you on the next flight, but of course YMMV!

konoyaro likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is unusual because the system has changed my schedule without my intervention for connection times longer than 15 min. This should have been corrected automatically ...

konoyaro likes this.
  9. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That hasn't happened to me unless I was going to completely miss the connection. I had a four-minute connection after a schedule change that I had to call in to fix. I also have a 31-minute connection in DEN that I'm going to let ride for now (MCT is 35 minutes).

konoyaro and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer the OP: you will want to change your flights by calling in. 15 minutes for a connection at EWR when they can release your seat at T-10 is pretty much like laying money on hard 4 at the craps table.

To answer what planes you want to fly on is a completely different ball of wax. First, what's your schedule and how long are these flights? Second, can you take an earlier (or even later) flight? Are you also elite or are applying an instrument to the itinerary (or do you want to)? Also, do you want the goodies that are potentially on the 739 (DTV and Sky Interior) or are you OK with a meat-and-potatoes 752?

The instrument/elite question is important (but only after schedule) because if you are an elite you may want to see what the available F space is for CPU probability. If you are applying (or want to apply) an instrument, you want to find some way of determining if there is available R bucket space so the instrument gets you upgraded right away.

konoyaro, IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As one who is usually careful to allow plenty of time for connections when booking, I seldom worry about this. However, I do distinctly remember getting emails from UA about schedule changes because my connection time was too short. A possibility could be that I got such emails because a schedule change by UA caused my connection time to become too short so they automatically compensated and let me know about it...and sometimes they can really screw up things royally...

konoyaro likes this.
  12. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the feedback.

@ Mike
    I've attached an image of the current schedule. It's not possible to take an earlier flight but there are at least two later flights that would be likely candidates:
    UA 652 Departs EWR @ 7:39 and arrives SFO @ 11:06 (SFO is my final destination) and UA 398 Departs EWR @ 8:37 and arrives SFO @ 12:11 - both of these are 757-200.
    I'm a PP Elite and I have no instruments being applied. My guess is that since this is a Sunday flight, earlier flights will have a higher chance at a CPU. In general I prefer the 739 but the next one is not until 11:35 and I hesitate to have a 5 hour wait in the lounge.

Chances are I'll call in and change to UA652 - just curious how others see this scenario and what potential upside UA's carelessness might have yielded.

fifteen.png

13. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There appears to be a lot of availability on UA652 (K9, but none in the R bucket, but it is F9), with the next flt UA398 showing K9, R1, F9 right now (with the 11:35a flt showing K0, R0, F9), so it's really up to you which flight you prefer on the earlier two.

mikeschu, Flyer1976 and konoyaro like this.
  14. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    What IDGflygirl said. The 752 is a good aircraft; it just won't have DTV and it may not have power (don't quote me on that).

I'd be inclined to pick one and then if necessary SDC into the flight that will get you the upgrade. ;) If F starts to get crazy I'd be inclined to fly UA398 and use an RPU but that's entirely your call there.

konoyaro and IDGflygirl like this.
  15. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to pile on but if you figure that most flights board 20 to 30 minutes before take off and it seems like most airlines have language saying they will give your seat away if your not at the gate 15 minutes prior to takeoff this is too short. Of course call to change. Anything less than an hour is iffy to me and on an international flight I like even more pad in case my connecting flight is running late (like that never happens).

NYCUA1K and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FF in me would like a connection like this and hope to get rebooked into full Y (i.e. more PQMs). :)

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get that. I really do. But isn't the point of being Premier at least in part to not have to sit in E? An E seat, whether it is on a Y ticket or a G ticket is still an E seat.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    But if one is in E to start with then being rebooked in full Y with a 50% class of service bonus on PQMs gets one ahead...:)

edcho likes this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right, of course. That's what I get for typing without reviewing. For some reason I was thinking the OP had an UG on the original booking. ::bopping self on the head::

NYCUA1K likes this.
  20. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    That and higher priority on the upgrade list.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  21. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, as the gates in DEN can be very far apart, -- so sometimes it can be tough even with the 35 min MCT there!

daninstl likes this.
  22. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless your flying Frontier through DEN as they always seem to have those minor 30 minute delays :)