Flight cancelled! What can I do?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by corz123, Aug 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :( United cancelled my flight and automatically to re-assigned to me to a new flight. I'm going to waste my lodging fee for the first night, wake up at 4 am the next day, and arrive at 1.5 hours before my meeting.

What should I do in this situation? The phone reps were unable to book me on another suitable flight.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far out are you and what's the route?

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    First off, I'd look at UA's schedule and pick the specific flights that you want. Check that there is availability (in any fare class in your cabin) then call the airline and politely, but firmly, ask to be put on the flight(s). As long as you're not changing the origin or destination, nor changing the dates by more than a day or so, they will accommodate you.

As to your hotel, is this for current (ie: today) travel...or is it for travel in the future? Give us that info and we can provide a bit more guidance. Your original post doesn't have a lot of details.

Also, did the cancellation occur due to weather, or some other reason?

4. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes they are just trying to get you on the same route, so you'll need to let them know you prefer whatever the faster route is, however you'll get there.

I was on a direct to Vegas for a meeting the next day and they tried giving me the exact route the next night. When I pushed for the fastest route, the agent finally said, but I only have middle seats! So I learned since then to say, I don't care how many stops it takes, I don't care where I have to sit, I just need to get there are soon as possible. (And if I don't need to get there ASAP, I ask, got anything in first? :p )

Flyer1976, 8MiHi and Sunshine7 like this.
  5. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys. Was really tired and stressed out last night. It's a class on business saver I booked from JFK to SFO. Apparently the flight was cancelled due to mechanical reasons. All the other itineraries involved downgrading to couch and then paying money for each of our 5-6 bags that we were to check in for free on business or involved getting to SFO at a really late hour. My lodging is a temporary place I booked on airbnb and I'm having a relative pick me up so I didn't think the late flight would have worked.

I saw some flights leaving from times that would work but they were all sold out of business class rights and the rep insisted that the only way to get onto first was to pay an additional 10k miles per person....

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting into a premium cabin is tougher. As others have pointed out, the key to arriving as quickly as possible is being flexible. In the past I have split up itineraries so people travel on different flights, and yes, taken middle seats in standard economy instead of E+. There are fewer seats in premium cabins, which means fewer opportunities to take one that's left for rebooking.

Since you mentioned bag fees were an issue, you could always ask to have your baggage fees waived but take a seat in coach. The agent might be willing to grant this request since his or her primary goal is getting you to your destination as quickly as possible.

hulagrrl210 likes this.