Flight cancelled on TAM - my rights

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tahunasky, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tahunasky

tahunasky New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I have a return ticket from AEP to BOG via GRU. I am flying from bogota to buenos aires in a week with TAM/LAN, and i got an email today saying my flight which was arriving at AEP at 13:00 has been cancelled, and they have booked me another flight and i arrive at EZE at 20:20 - same day.

Because of this i will be sitting in GRU for around 12 hours, and instead of a 10 min taxi ride to my apartment it will be over an hour and cost me US$50 instead of US$5.

In most western countries if your flight is delayed/cancelled and the delay is longer than 4 or 5 hours they have to give you food, hotel, cash etc compensation.
    I have checked TAMS website and it doesnt really say anything about compensation, rights etc - well except for fights from/to USA. The fight was booked in argentina via tam.com.br.

Does anyone know what are my rights as i want to know before i rock up to the check-in/customer service desk - does anyone know what TAM/LAN usually do - TAM is a star alliance member ?
    [​IMG]

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you say that you have looked at the TAM website, did you read their CoC (Conditions of Carriage)? This is their legal document defining what rights your ticket gives you. Have you tried to look at their Spanish language website, which might contain more material? Have you checked the Star Alliance website for any conditions that might apply, including verification of whether TAM is currently considered to be a full member? Others here on MP are experts in Latin America travel, including the current status and nuances of TAM and LAN. Do you perhaps know a travel agent that you have previously given a lot of business to and whom you could ask, or perhaps even AmEx PTS even though they did not sell the ticket, but as a hypothetical question?

Do you have, or can you cheaply get, lounge access at GRU? Could you enjoy a day in the city at reasonable cost during your layover? Do you have any travel insurance that might help on additional costs?

I would start by figuring out what I want in this situation. Does another carrier have better connecting flights? Is there an alternative routing that would get you into AEP and avoid the long wait by connecting through a different airport, either in Brazil or elsewhere in South America such as Santiago? IME when there is a schedule change, the airline's first offer is usually to rebook you for the same day, without paying much attention to the airports, connecting times providing that they are legal, etc. Frequently if you call, they are willing to work with you to get other flights, although you might be limited to that carrier or alliance or to your original fare class unless you want to pay more. Also, you frequently have the option to cancel the ticket for a full refund, but of course it can be much more expensive then to purchase a new ticket, possibly on another carrier. Can you change the dates of your travel a bit--perhaps the flight you want only operates on certain days of the week.

You might want to post something referring to this thread in the LAM/TAM, Brazil, and Argentina fora where the local experts are more likely to see it. (MP allows double posting, although I think a link would be better in order to keep most of the discussion in one place.)

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. tahunasky

tahunasky New Member

Status Points:
    I have managed to get a new flight, but to EZE with LAN, with just 3 hours in GRU. So not to bad.
    They only annoying thing is that if i went to AEP it was only 10 min taxi ride home - US$5, now its 1 hour, and about US$50. And the main reason for booking the flight with TAM/LAN was the leaving from AEP and returning to AEP.
    As for staying in GRU, sao paulo is just a big dirty city that i have been to to many times already.

I did check the terms and conditions, and for international fights it just stated that TAM abides by the Montreal convention. And that doesnt have anything much about delays/cancelled flights.

4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have some emails for you to send comments to... let me dig them up and get back to you...

Jimgotkp likes this.