Flight cancelation:

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by miledoc, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miledoc

miledoc Member

Status Points:
    I m a platinum member. I had planed a long weekend for my wife and I to go to Paris celebrating our anniversary. 21 hrs before the flight delta cancels the flight from stl to Detroit. They route my wife on us airways and they bump me from ce to regular coach! There were business class tickets available but the supervisor elected not to release that's and would put us on coach on a later dl flight out of msp. The supervisor insisted that dl can bump me from ce and put my wife on a different airline. Aside from canceling the trip and asking for a refund which I did, did I have any other recourse?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    shoot the supervisor. Seriously, I would call someone at the corporate office and explain the situation to them. It might take a few calls, but you should eventually find someone sympthetic who can help you.

DiverDave likes this.
  3. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is CE - do you mean Economy Comfort?

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're talking about Economy Comfort...the T&C state:

As you're a PM, EC is free for you and up to 8 others on your reservation. You would not be entitled to a refund/compensation for being placed in regular economy.

5. miledoc

miledoc Member

Status Points:
    True but since they changed the itenarary and canceled the flight they would know that I have the option to ask for a full refund which they paid! As the flights were not oversold and business was open they had nothing to lose. Now they had two more open seats a ticked off platinum member and my wife a gold member who will probably switch to a different carrier. Perhaps penny wise but in the long run dollar foolish

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like your wife was on a different PNR, so they rebooked her on a different routing. Were the PNRs linked? Sometimes pointing this out gets the airline to keep the passengers together if possible.

No airline is going to rebook even most elite passengers on (enhanced) coach tickets into business class after a normal flight cancellation. Since you don't mention trying to upgrade with miles or SWUs despite BE seats being available, I suspect that the OP had either coach award tickets or (deep) discount coach. DL will not give BE in this case. Period.