Flight Boarding Order for MM Flyers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RJR@LAX, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    :(:(Things have really gotten mixed up since the red carpet turned blue. However there is one problem that still really ticks me off. As a 1K for about 10 yrs and a GS for the last two yrs, I am used to boarding first. Early boarding is really important to me, because I want to put all I carry on right at my seat. Now, they don't even wait until you board, the boarding announcement includes a warning for all 3 and 4 boarders that they WILL NOT have a place for their carry-ons and they should gate check them right away.
    In the early boarding Hirerarchy, MMers are totally ignored. You would think that they would be included in EARLY Boarding along with the 1Ks and GS. I know that I will not be flying as an earned 1K forever and the idea of being back in the pack after flying over 2MM so far stinks. My only hope is to fly another 850,000 miles to make 3MM and I don't think that I will make it.
    The response that I have received from UACS in the past was insulting. Maybe UA Insider can look into this non-$ perk would be timely with all of the changes taking place.
    If you care, step up and weigh in on this one......:mad::mad:

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mean, you're not going to be in the "back" -- right now they board active military, then GS/1K, then 1P/2P, then credit card holders, then boarding area 1, right?

So you'll be a bit behind 1Ks. I've never had a problem finding carry-on space near my seat when I fly as a 1P. Just my 2 cents.

theBOAT likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is being able to board based on your elite status, the status you get as a MMer considered "totally ignored" in this context?? :confused:

Put differently, if you're not a 1K then why should you get to board with the 1Ks based on having previously been one?

4. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Refresh my recollection -- before "the red carpet turned blue", were Premier Executives invited to board early & at any time on the red carpet? I thought that was just GS/1K/First/Business travelers.

Congrats on flying more than two million miles! Surely you won't be too badly off for boarding or perks as a lifetime Platinum traveler.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    :cool:My point is that boarding early and being able to get settled in a civilized manner is important to me and many other flyers that I know. I believe that it is a perk that could be extended to MM Flyers [if they are so important to the well being of the company] without a $$$ impact. I fly out of LAX and there is never a day when the flights to IAD, BWI, HON and ORD are not a madhouse [if not oversold]. If you don't care when you get on, don't board early. There are plenty of 1st Class and 1k/GS passengers that don't care and board at the last minute.
    Flying as much as I do, I have developed my own routine, which includes when I board, Where I sit and what equipment I fly on. I would like to continue with that routine after I am able to cut back on my travelling. Understand, I am an old codger [71], have been flying agressively since 1984, and am very set in my ways.
    I think that MMers should be included in the early boarding perk.....:mad::mad:
    And, no, PEs did not ever board on the Red Carpet.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it could be (though there is certainly an impact to doing so). My point was why should it be? I do understand that you are set in your ways. And there are a number of ways for you to continue to have the ability to do so, including continuing to fly enough to have the status or buying F seats.

If neither of those is going to happen then you still have elite status as a MMer, meaning you're going to get the opportunity to board early. There are different levels and they have different benefits. A 2MM passenger gets Platinum status even if they aren't flying any more. That means boarding before most others on the plane, just not ahead of GS/1K/F/C.

I guess I just don't understand why pre-boarding is the one benefit that should be singled out and applied differently for MMers. You likely have also become accustomed to having top priority for UDUs, so why not extend that, too?

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, like you, also prefer to board first, if at all possible.

However, when I flew as a 1P, even though I wasn't "first", I was still "early" and I still *always* found room for my carry-on near my seat (it's a roll-aboard).

My point is that you still get to board 'early' -- just not first. Getting 1P for life seems like a reasonable reward for 1MM -- 3MM for 1K status for life seems fair to me too. 850,000 is only about 6-8 more years of flying! It'll be over before you know it!

8. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can board early, since as a 2MM, you have lifetime 1P. So you board directly after the 1Ks. And now, you even get to cross the Blue carpet when you do board before Zones 1-4.

9. RJR@LAX

RJR@LAX Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you live in the same world as me. There is virtually no successful use of UDUs flying out of LAX to major airports. I happen to buy A fare tickets and don't use my CRUs or most of my SWUs, if I am not flying International. And, again, my point is: They tell us that MMers and Multiple MMers are extremely valuable to the well being of the airline. If that is true, why not give them the recognition for high volume flying over the years that they give to a FF that has one big year and then is gone.......
    I don't think we are ever going to agree on this one.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I live in NYC.
    Funny, I've received a UDU on every eligible flight I've taken to or from LAX in the past two years. I guess that doesn't count??
    If you are buying A fares anyways then you are ticketed in the first class cabin and the boarding benefit doesn't matter anyways. :confuesd:
    They DO! Actually they give you well more in benefits over the long term than the customer who makes status for a year and then no longer has it. You get to actually keep the status in perpetuity. There's no sense in giving everyone who makes MM the full gamut of benefits. So they give you some of them, not all of them.
    You're correct. Unless you can explain why you deserve more than just the benefits afforded annually by the status level that you get to keep until either you or the program expires. And that status level includes boarding prior to pretty much everyone else.

mht_flyer likes this.
  11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a "what have you done for me lately" world, with emphasis on the
    lately. That's the way that benefits the company most. As an MMer
    with slowly decreasing travels, I may soon be in your position, but
    too bad for both of us. I'd say fly a bunch extra, buy elite maximizer,
    and board as early as you like, based on the rules as they make them.

mht_flyer and genemk2 like this.
  12. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I went 27/30 on UDU out of LAX last year, so it is very doable to get upgrades out of that station.

genemk2 likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently the OP hasn't flown Air New Zealand... they board in the following order...

• Special Needs (Wheelchairs/Disabled/Octogenarians)
    • Families with Children under 4/5
    • Business Premier & Star Gold, NZ AirPoints Gold
    • NZ AirPoints Silver
    • Economy
    So they board Special Needs and Families and enforce this before allowing anyone with status even to board...

genemk2 likes this.
  14. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 2MM, you will be 1P for life. I've never been forced to check carryons as a 1P; you're still boarding in the first 50% of the plane, at worst.

HaveMilesWillTravel and genemk2 like this.
  15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The equivalent on the AA side is that as a 'two-millionaire' and thus lifetime-'Platinum' I can board (when I don't upgrade) right behind the "Executive Platinum," uniformed United States military and ticketed first-class pax. This correlates with your 1P/2P priority board in your program, I think. Like others here I don't see you being ignored, but more importantly, based on what you say is important to you, I don't think I have one time had to stow my carry-on more than one row away from where I was sitting. Just my perspective, Sir.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under the new MM program, 2MMs will be Plat for life, no?

17. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, you're right -- I stand corrected. 1MM get 1P and 2MM get 0P.

18. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone noticed if the new boarding process for PMUA flights mirrors the old CO process of leaving the blue carpet open for elites throughout boarding? Nothing was worse than walking up to the gate as a GS, 1K or 1st class passenger just to see the rope being pulled and the red carpet being shut off, then you had to join the back of the huge line of "regular people" (I almost cringe at my own spoiledness, almost)...

With CO, leaving the blue carpet open throughout boarding, if I happen to walk up after Elite boarding was done, I still receive preferential boarding privileges, although sometimes I get dirty looks from the economy passengers I am jumping ahead of... haha.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Leaving the red carpet open for red-carpet-eligible passengers was PM UA policy as far as I know and recall.

20. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, leaving from AUS they always pulled the rope shut on the "elite" side after the red carpet boarding was done, I noticed it a few other times at other airports (I remember OMA definitely), but alas I only flew them once or twice a month pre-merger. I also learned to make sure I was at the gate early so I could board on the red carpet

Granted I also never challenged the roped off side to find out what the official policy was... haha.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, they may have closed the rope, but the few times that I actually walked over the red carpet when the regular lane was in the process or boarding they stopped that line and reopened the red carpet for me. There certainly have been reports over the years from people who encountered gate agents that thought it was too much effort for them, but I don't think that was common or official policy.

Note also that the group of people eligible to walk over the red carpet was usually much smaller with PM UA than with PM CO, so I would actually expect that it worked overall better as there would be fewer people taking advantage of the "board whenever you want over the carpet" benefit. But I didn't actually fly CO as an elite more than once or twice, so no personal experience.

22. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Status Points:
    As a PMCO Platinum who flew UA a decent bit after the CO SkyTeam divorce and before the merger, when I was in coach I was not eligible to board on the red carpet (being lowly "star gold") but when I held paid first class tickets I was eligible, and that is when I would encounter this problem, I always just assumed with the rope being closed and the agent avoiding all eye contact, I had to get in line with economy...

PMUAs process still allowed Star Gold and other "non red carpet" elites to board early, you just didn't walk across the vaunted red carpet. I would think that having to verify red carpet eligibility to open the rope, board someone off the red carpet, then close the rope again would take more time than just leaving it open, and when someone walks on, ensuring they are blue carpet eligible. Plus making it seem like less of an ordeal certainly makes me feel better when I do use the blue carpet during general boarding, because I am not having to make anything "reopen". But hopefully this will no longer be a problem, as we have an all new boarding process and I haven't seen anyone rope off the new dark blue carpet after general boarding began, hopefully (for my preferences) that practice is dead.

23. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I've noticed with not roping it off is that a bunch of times, non-eligible people start using the blue carpet, then the GA doesn't want to tell people to use the non-blue carpet lane, and my (late arrival) access to the blue carpet lane is now unavailable. Roping off the red carpet, but opening it up for late-arriving eligible passengers, meant that I could show up at any time during boarding and cut the line.