Flight attendant grounds herself after 54 years with American Airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...elf-after-54-years-with-american-airlines.ece

[​IMG]

Carole DiSalvo, 75, sits in the engine of a new American Airlines Boeing 777-300 ER at American's maintenance facility at D/FW Airport. DiSalvo, who began work as a flight attendant at American in November 1958, retired last week after more than 54 years in the skies.

When Carole DiSalvo began working as an American Airlines Inc. stewardess, she thought she might stay a couple of years. Maybe that long.

“I was 20 when I went with American,” DiSalvo recalled. “And two years was truly the maximum. You couldn’t be married. Back then, people were getting married a lot younger than they are now. So two years was truly about the maximum that you would expect to fly. Never would you expect to go five years or 10 years.”

More than 54 years later, DiSalvo, 75, has finally grounded herself.

She worked her last assignments in mid-January, on a flight from Chicago to Shanghai, and then a flight back to Chicago. On Thursday, she ended a career that touched seven decades, 11 U.S. presidential administrations, numerous management changes, industry deregulation and the economic turbulence that has shaken the industry.

She arrived at American a few months before its first jet, the Boeing 707, began service. She began work more than two years before American’s current chairman and chief executive, Tom Horton, was born.

Read More: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...elf-after-54-years-with-american-airlines.ece

2. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am one quick to make fun of AAs senior flight attendants but in December she was the first class flight attendant on my PVG-ORD flight and she was absolutely delightful. She went out of her way to make the trip enjoyable for all in the cabin.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are exceptions, of course, but I think some of the more senior FAs are great. They just KNOW what to do and how to do it right. Maybe I'm just an old fart :)

anabolism, Flyer1976, zpaul and 3 others like this.
  4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So interesting to read her thoughts in that article. So many memories, so many stories. I selfishly hope she writes a book.

zpaul and sobore like this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I doing something wrong or is this story only behind a subscription wall? I'd love to read it but I'm not going to subscribe to the paper; if anyone can post a link for the entire article (or copy paste it to a doc and email it or PM it to me) I'd appreciate it!

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just clicking on the link gives me the entire article. Maybe try it in an Incognito/Anonymous browser window.

zpaul likes this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be working fine in Firefox. Maybe try a different browser.

zpaul likes this.
  8. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for sharing, enjoy reading the article.

zpaul likes this.
  9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to access it from my phone. No problem with my laptop. Thanks for the responses!

sobore likes this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    She looks pretty good for 75!

11. flymeAAway

flymeAAway Active Member

Status Points:
    It's public so no infingment, source sited above...

When Carole DiSalvo began working as an American Airlines Inc. stewardess, she thought she might stay a couple of years. Maybe that long....

Follow the story here: LINK.

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know sometimes it's confusing, but it's still considered infringement. The terms of the site (dallasnews.com) make it very clear they don't allow reposting. To put it in a more dollars and cents way, by posting it here there's no reason for readers to go to the source which means dallasnews.com loses ad revenue and marketing info.

I'm not a "net cop" and in some ways could care less, but I would hate to see this blog get in trouble over stuff like this. Such things happen a lot more than many people realize.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    bigx0 is correct, and to make the point a bit stronger, posting the entire article violates not only the DallasNews T&C's but also MilePoint's T&C's. Which is why your post has been edited with a link to the original article. ;)

anabolism and zpaul like this.
  14. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like how the OP did it: a brief summary or the first few paragraphs, then a link to the full story. That way people get the gist without violating anyone's copyright or T&C, and there's a handy link to see the full thing. (A bare link doesn't have enough context to let people decide if it's worth following.)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Which is exactly how most people post articles on MP. Considering he was posting the exact same article as the OP, it seemed redundant to keep a few paragraphs since they're already present in the OP.