Flight attendant eight times alcohol limit [aviation] on UK flight

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/344100/Air-hostess-eight-times-alcohol-limit-on-UK-f-light

AN air stewardess was eight times the legal alcohol limit during a passenger flight to the UK, forcing the captain to alert police on the ground.
    Stephanie Partington, 24, was arrested after the Emirates plane landed at Birmingham International Airport, a court heard. She was then breathalysed by police.
    She denied drinking during the seven-hour flight from Dubai. But a blood test found she had 164mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood – more than twice the legal drink-drive limit of 80mg.

Read More: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/344100/Air-hostess-eight-times-alcohol-limit-on-UK-f-light

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    164 is twice the legal limit of 80, not eight times. Title change?

Edit: Read the article. The relevant math:

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a middle eastern airline correct? Assuming there is some Muslim ownership/management involved this might not end well for her. If I remember when I was in the ME in the early 90's with the Navy I thought that drinking was "frowned upon" by the islamic culture.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    From the article: "But under aviation law, the legal limit for flight attendants is 20mg – meaning Partington was eight times over the limit."

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think ownership matters here. I predict it wouldn't end well for her no matter what the airline. And it shouldn't end well.

marcwint55 and Randy Petersen like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's what was in my quote. I self-corrected. :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I wonder is: if it was 8 times the legal limit at the END of the 7 hour flight, how drunk was she when the flight departed Dubai?

LizzyDragon84 and marcwint55 like this.
  8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm wondering too. It seems odd that none of the other crew members noticed any problems before the flight. I also find the fine of £110 kind of on the low side, but Emirates did fire her. I suspect it's going to take her a while to find another job. It looks like she might be a UK national, so if she's in Dubai on a work visa she might even be forced to move back to the UK.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're talking about a BAC that indicates 5-8 drinks in the last 8 hours at any given timeframe. The longer away, the more drinks. This would be a drink (wine, liquor) every hour during the flight, or a BAC of well over three times the legal limit for driving when the flight started (and unless she's a long-term alcoholic, that would be significant impairment and very likely to be smelled on someone's breath.

OTOH, if she had quite literally just drank, there may be enough residual alcohol in the airway to produce this result. It's why blood tests are always more correct.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone's too drunk to drive under a reasonable standard, they're probably also too drunk to function well in an emergency or a situation that requires judgment.

marcwint55 and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    she may have time to join us on the mega-do now.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second that