Fliers switch to tablets rather than laptops

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...tch-to-tablets-rather-than-laptops/57720438/1

The percentage of airline passengers using tablet computers is nearly equal to the percentage using laptops, a survey to be released today shows.

About 37% of 2,682 travelers surveyed say they use tablets while flying — a percentage point less than those using older-technology laptops, according to the online survey conducted by FlightView, which sells travel apps for mobile phones and daily travel information for airline and airport digital displays and websites.

"The explosion of new devices has fueled a fundamental change in the way people travel," says FlightView, which expects travelers' tablet use to surpass laptop use by next year.
    The increased use of tablets comes as airlines equip a growing number of aircraft with Wi-Fi availability, more airports offer free Wi-Fi service, and the Federal Aviation Administration forms a group this fall to study the safety of passengers' increasing use of electronic devices on aircraft during takeoffs and landings.

Among the agency's concerns are whether the devices can affect cockpit instruments and navigational equipment.

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus...tch-to-tablets-rather-than-laptops/57720438/1

Espan, marcwint55, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've stuck with a laptop because I want to be able to do a lot of writing and photo editing while traveling, but tablets are getting much better. I suspect I'll switch over when my current laptop wears out, probably next year. (these thinkpads take a lickin' and keep on tickin', I usually can get 4 years and 250,000 miles out of them).

wrxmom, Espan, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  3. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe people are switching to tablets because the seat pitch is getting so small, it's almost impossible to open a laptop in coach...

Espan and guberif like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nah, why carry something that weights 5 pounds total when you can get by with something that's 4 lbs lighter.

<lol>

btw, I'm in the market for one and am at the needs assessment point.

DTWBOB

Espan and Kalboz like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use an ultrabook and live it. Weight is under three pound and it is a very powerful laptop.

Espan likes this.
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travel with both my iPad and laptop. Love love love the iPad, but if I need to do "serious" work, still remote in with the laptop.

Espan and Kalboz like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to switch to a tablet, but my company is not set up for them yet and my work requires a vpn which I can only access on my computer.

Gargoyle and Espan like this.
  8. I think its the leisure flier who is using the tablets more. I see many people using them to watch movies they have downloaded and hardly anyone using them for work.

Gargoyle and Espan like this.
  9. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got the Google Nexus 7 tablet and love it. Replaces need for a laptop for most of my trips. I do think that 8.9" is the sweet spot for tablet size, and by the time this one bites the dust, I imagine there'll be some good options in that size...

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I switched to the iPad from the laptop for travel. I originally thought the lack of a keyboard would be a big minus. It hasn't proven to be. On the plus side I have access to all my videos, books, publications, photos, email, spreadsheets, documents in a compact, light iPad. The display is great. And thru iCloud I can access everything with my phone, my ipad or my "big" computer back home.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I switched in december last year to the transformer prime from asus. between the keyboard dock (actual connection and allowed to be used in flight unlike bluetooth keyboards) and the increased storage and battery make it an ideal travel options. It has full size and micro sd slots to clean memory cards while traveling to keep snapping life as well.

Of course the TPF, TF201, is a bit old now, but the they keep coming out with new/better ones.

Unless i have real laptop need, the tablet is the sole travel choice here.