Flier Charged with Groping Could be Caned

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not entirely too surprising for a well-off Russian worker in mid 30s. :(

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bastard deserves to be caned. :mad:

rwoman likes this.
  4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen interesting things - not the groping in flight, in my case and that of some others, that was administered by the female contract security guards at DM to male pax during the security screening at the DME tech stop on SQ61 :(

Agreed with the above. Not a cool experience.

In this guy's case it will be the worse for him because the Singaporeans are going to take this much more seriously than some others. Their plane, their turf. And the cane. Well if US expats can get it, so too can Russians assuming guilt is proven.

The J checkin lines at a number of major airports seem full of young Russians, 20s and early 30s. The demographic is very skewed compared with the J demographic for almost all other nationalities. Look at the SU or Transavia lines especially. They even dress like gangsters and gangster molls.

I was surprised to learn from my seatmates (expat mining engineers) heading to LIM a while ago about the extent of Russian organized crime property and enterprise ownership in Miraflores.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article:

"
    A Ukrainian man faces potentially serious consequences after being charged for allegedly groping a Singapore Airlines flight attendant last month on a Moscow-to-Singapore flight.
    "

Also wonder if

The newspaper says if Sergii is found guilty, he faces up to two years in jail, a fine, a caning "or any combination of these punishments."

means he could get two years of caning in jail ;)

Jokes aside, I am not a fan of these types of penalties.

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had no gropes... err, gripes with female security agents checking me in DME, they are typically a lot faster than the guys about it, so I get on my way sooner.

And as far as bad behavior goes, regardless of how they dress, a good number of these youngish gentlemen are not part of any organized crime groups. Being richer than 99% of the people sometimes is enough.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Goes twice as true for Ukrainians, but the last name is Russian, soooo.... this "gotcha" didn't change anything here :)

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In that case I cant wait till I'm arrested so when people read the news article they'll see my last name and assume I'm German. :)

rwoman and cennas like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you live in US, the situations are nothing alike.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think assumptions are dangerous ground regardless of where one lives, whether about who someone is or how certain "types" of people behave. The US certainly doesn't have a monopoly on immigration, inter-marriage, or name changes.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing how my initial response covered both contingencies, my response stands. Also, please note that yours, article's and HaveMilesWillTravel's understanding that the man is Ukranian is just that, an assumption, if we are to use your criteria. And your assumption is at least as good as mine, although I would argue that I have better background in making mine.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is all rather silly at this point. You'll forgive me if I take at least a small amount of faith in the idea that the employees of USA Today and the Singapore Times are conducting a minimal amount of due diligence when researching an article and aren't simply making assumptions. If I was a betting man I'd take the word of those newspapers over yours. Or mine for that matter. ;)

I honestly didn't meant to start a debate with you and my first comment was meant mostly in fun, but one of my pet peeves is generalizations of groups of people, whomever those people might be. When I read things along the lines of "no surprise that a Russian man in his 30s would grope a woman" or "oh Ukrainian? Typical behavior x 2!" I feel obligated to point out that it's needlessly maligning some people with what is at best a half truth and at worse a sad stereotype. And like you, my response still stands. :)

At this point I suppose it's best to call a truce and just agree to disagree, allowing the thread to continue along it's intended topic.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't heard anything about caning since that kid got caned for chewing gum years back. This is a much more justifiable reason to get caned...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was that kid really caned for chewing gum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Offences punishable by caning

Singaporean law allows caning to be ordered for over 30 offences, including hostage-taking,[3] robbery, gang robbery with murder, drug use, vandalism, and rioting.[4] Caning is also a mandatory punishment for certain offences such as rape, drug trafficking, illegal money-lending,[5] and for visiting foreigners who overstay their visa by more than 90 days, a measure designed to deter illegal immigrant workers.[6]

Contrary to what has sometimes been misreported, the use or importation of chewing gum is subject only to fines; it is not and has never been a caneable offence.[7]

Were you thinking of this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

MLW20 likes this.
  15. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the correction! That is the guy.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still remember the uproar over that case and how my father used it to instill a fear of Singapore in me.

Glad to say I got over it this year and stopped for a few days in June. :)

17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I wouldn't have caned Fay, I didn't have any sympathy for him then, and still don't have any now.

MLW20 likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's kind of interesting - I vaguely remembered hearing chewing gum stories and an American kid getting caned, but when this thread came up, I decided to look if Sinapore really canes people for chewing gum.

MLW20 likes this.
  19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you meant to say "stereotyping" because there is a significant difference. One of those is okay, the other one is not. Generalitizations are in your tour books, and I am darn sure you are okay with most of them. I'll generalize about my people as much as those generalizations apply and you are free to disagree but it doesn't make those generalizations any less valid. I will, however, gladly fix any of the stereotypes you might have.

It's unfortunate that you misread my statement so badly, but not too surprising. Most people do not realize how far back Russia and countries of former USSR have gone in relations between sexes in the past 20 years. I recommend you read up about it before jumping to conclusions. In that context, you'd have a better understanding of where the comment was coming from. I think it's a fair trade: truce for a bit of learning, no?

20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually if you read local Singaporean newspapers, everyday there are always multiple news articles about criminals getting a caning punishment, usually in addition to jail terms. Caning is such a common occurence that people hardly care, well unless it's a foreigner who gets caned :)

MLW20 likes this.
  21. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also typed in caning and gum and found nothing before I posted. But I could've swore he got caned for chewing gum (maybe also spitting it out on the floor in public)
    After looking at the link for Fay, I then thought he got caught doing grafiti with spray paint. This is so long ago! The main thing I remember was making fun of the "moistened rattan" with one of my brothers.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The caning cases I vauely remember, IIRC foreigners, were some kids, I guess about 16 or 18, who keyed a bunch of luxury cars. There was also talk of caning for the two who spray painted some MRT cars in the yard overnight, but I think they managed to leave the country as well as losing their professional jobs in Singapore. Both would fall into the vandalism category.