Flier BEWARE - Stay away from Flying Blue ( Air France / KLM )

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by NYCAdventurer, Jul 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    A while back I redeemed my Flying Blue miles for a flight on Continental from NY to Panama for my wife and I. KLM took 120,000 miles for the flight. I expect to pay taxes and airport fees in foreign countries, but not use miles and pay the full price of a ticket. So KLM took 60,000 miles per ticket and charged me 252.20 per ticket. I checked with Continental and the taxes were $72.20 per ticket for this flight. KLM/Air France are crooks. I tried fighting them and got no where. I am posting here to help fellow travelers and warn everyone of this criminal act. Stay away from KLM / Air France!

2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCAdventurer - Welcome to MP!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with FB. I should however let you know that many airlines have what they call "fuel surcharges" (known on sites like this as YQ) that they charge when redeeming miles. In particular, most EU/Asian and outside of USA airlines will have some sort of fuel charge. I personally don't have any FB miles, but I would assume that anyone who does will be able to comment on the extent of the YQ FB members charge.

Sorry you had a bad time, but hopefully for the future you'll be forewarned.

Again, welcome!

mynameismud likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the point the OP is making is that his ticket was on Continental, which DOESN'T charge fuel surcharges. Therefore FB was neither passing on a charge of the partner airline nor incurring the cost itself. This was just "free money" to FB extracted from the member!

I think most people would rightly consider that to be the moral equivalent of theft -- or at least sharp practice -- on a "free" ticket.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This redemption must have occurred quite a while ago as FB miles can't be used for CO flights since CO left SkyTeam for *A, around the time of the NW/DL merger. Unfortunately I don't remember the last dates for award tickets to be issued or the last date for award flights to be flown, but I would guess close to two years for awards and a year for the travel.

viguera likes this.
  5. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. CO has been a *A partner for a while already.

6. Greanjeans

Greanjeans Silver Member

Status Points:
    plus if its a FB redemption its a af klm ticketstock so 057 or 074 .. and therefore they will charge the YQ

7. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    the award basis for premium travel is still good. i have always booked biz tickets, and been happy with the price in miles, taxes and fuel charges for the service received.

I am still a happy flying blue member, much better than SQ or CO point/value equation!

sobore, stimpy and mynameismud like this.
  8. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awards are issued on 057 and they do include YQ

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us live in France and the NL, so we can't easily avoid AF/KL. Nor would we want to. It's not that bad really. And the other choices are getting steadily worse.