Flew CLT / AVL....no electronic devices allowed during the flight?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by sophiegirl, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    i have taken ths flight several times, and do not remember this rule...but on Thurs, nothing with an on/off button was allowed to be in use during this flight.

Is this new...or did I just not own my Kindle the last time I took this flight? :>)

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've seen this before is if the flight is not expected to go about 10,000 feet or will be above 10,000 for an extremely short time. This happens regularly on ABE<->PHL for that reason.

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CLT-AVL is one of my favorite 18 minute flights in the world! Love Asheville, and love that they fly a jet there and not a turboprop!

4. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would appear that CLT-AVL, at only about 90 miles, is indeed one of those routes where "cruise" might be less than 10K feet. For example, today, this Dash-8 "cruised" at 8000 feet for four minutes before descending:
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/PDT4495/history/20110226/1940Z/KCLT/KAVL/tracklog

Meanwhile, this CRJ was right at 10,000 feet for a whole eight minutes:
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JIA315/history/20110227/0049Z/KCLT/KAVL/tracklog

I would think it's going to be pretty common that they don't want electronics on. By the time people get electronics out and on, they've got to go off within 2-3 minutes, if the flight even gets that high.

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've experienced the same thing on a CLT-GSO flight, and this is really nothing new. Generally, if you are going to be 30 minutes take-off to touch down, then they will just say no electronic devices for the entire flight, since you might have a 5 minute window

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    once you hit your peak altitude you're coming right back down for approach, so i don't blame them for saying it. it's only 25-30 minutes in the air anyway isn't it? we should all survive that long without messaging somebody i would think

7. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    On DCA-PHL it's about 50/50 that they allow electronics at any point in the flight but I never bother with them either way; no point in turning something on just to use it for 4 minutes.

8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't really have an interest in messaging people during flights of any length....as far as I am concerned, that is my downtime from the daily emergencies.

As I said in my post, it was only noticeable to me this time because I had an e-book with me VS printed materials. As such my post was really more of a future planning question - and now I know- bring print for short flights.

9. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly I bring print on every flight. I like to read, and even though I have an e-book reader, I've had too many circumstances where I wasn't able to read it (like being unexpectedly switched to Row 1, not having it in hand and the air being too rough for me to get up and fetch it, last minute flight plan changes keeping us flying very low, or learning the hard way that leaving Wireless turned on on my Kindle in Las Vegas shreds the battery) to travel without at least something non-electronic to read. It's like a post on "the other forum" where someone was very upset over a burned out reading lamp; yes, the reading lamp should work, but if reading is very important to you (as it is to me), make a backup plan and take care of yourself.

I will say the worst was a very turbulent flight DCA-DFW that was diverted twice and eventually landed at MEM; the FA's were instructed to clear the cabin early, and we circled Shreveport (If memory serves me) for about 20 minutes, then more circling at MEM, all the while with the No Electronics restriction in place. I don't usually panic with turbulence but this was literally the worst I've ever been through. We'd passed through a really nasty, unexpected storm that eventually spawned tornadoes. In an RJ. At any rate, being without a book for those last 40-50 minutes of a hellish flight would have been even worse.

We are often the difference between an inconvenience and a really bad experience, and while carry-on space is limited and we have to choose wisely what comes with us and what stays behind, quite often that small extra item stuffed in the bag will make a big difference. Heck, I even take my own pillowcases to hotels--- it's important to me not to end up with bed-head, so I'm willing to devote some carry-on space to that item.

10. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you dcpatti! Avid reader here! Thank goodness for books and magazines! I typically have a little throw-away paperback somewhere in my carryon in addition to my Kindle. I also like to swing through the lounge and pick up a copy of the magazines they offer there. I have no desire to be connected all the time.

jupper likes this.
  11. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. All from a question as to whether a rule was newly implemented ?????

12. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto, and I am connected most of the time... Today is no exception, my phone battery is already halfway empty just from all the calls... :(

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    On CLT-AVL there's barely time to hit the on button and the off button. They're just saving you the wear and tear on your fingers. [​IMG]
    On daytime flights, I just enjoy seeing these beautiful mountains. [​IMG]

14. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, probably more from too much time spent in forums like this. :D But I stick by it; enjoying your flight less because you can't read is on you, not the airline. It's too easy to ensure you've always got something to read, regardless of flight duration, battery life, turbulence, burned out lights, etc. Unfortunately not everyone thinks ahead, and ends up complaining (and seeking compensation, quite often) when they couldn't have what they wanted.

sophiegirl likes this.
  15. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:

16. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just like beating the inevitable queries to the punch. Too many of these threads deteriorate into a comparison between US and UA compensation levels.

17. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having only only flown UA once in my life, can't really see how I could compare the two. So "inevitable" in this case is probably a little premature...but then again, so is the word "compensation".

Of course, as stated before, I would be pretty uncomfortable answering queries or statements before they are even posted. Seems like if I was wrong it could discourage people from ever asking anything again...

18. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    To each his own. This thread and the whole site would be a pretty dull read if every question were answered with a "yes" or "no." It is far more interesting if people share their experiences and insights. Discussions of compensation, complaints and airline comparisons aside, someone may read a post and find something helpful and relevant to them. For example, someone who has never encountered a burned-out reading light may never consider buying a personal travel reading light but will be happy they have one on that transcon with no IFE and a burned-out light. Sometimes the off-topic wanderings are more informational than the simple yes or no answer.

19. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, completely agree! I think this site is all about generously sharing one's travel experiences, and I love reading others ideas and suggestions..as well as sharing my own when applicable.

I suppose it was the
    and
    which confused me, as there were no comparisons made, complaints mentioned, or compensation requested.