Flagship Lounge: Guest for Oneworld Emerald?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm a newly minted BA gold via match from their acquisition of british midland (sad that my beloved BD is a shell of its former self).

I know that my BA Gold status gets me into AA's Flagship lounges when flying AA. But wanted to check whether that includes access for 1 guest as well?

I believe that according to this -- http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/ -- it does. Confirm? THANKS!

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have formerly been a BA Gold card holder and indeed never had a problem even bringing two non-family-member guests (or several family-member guests) into the FLs in JFK, LAX or LHR. Never tried in ORD. In each case except one, they were on the same flight as me, though I don't think that was even a requirement. Once at LAX, they gave someone I needed to meet with, but who wasn't flying, a guest pass to clear security and they allowed him into the FL with me.

While it won't help you for upgrades on AA, having the BA Gold card is great on the ground with AA.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well I'm an AA EXP so I won't be crediting flights to BA. But I've got 22 months of BA Gold because of BA's acquisition of BD, so I might as well get FL access out of it :) Thanks!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only thing I would add is that I'd be cautious of expecting the generous admittance policy on guests that NYBanker experienced, since it's certainly not the norm. Twice in the last year I've entered the FL to find the dragons dueling with a passenger about bringing in extra guests. Don't even get me started on the death stare I received from the dragon when I offered to guest the passenger in question's teenage daughter into the lounge so the whole family could enjoy the space. :eek:

perryplatypus and gleff like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    As long as I do indeed get one guest, I'm good :)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh you do! Also, no need to use the oneworld website, AA.com has the information laid out fairly nicely (LINK):

access.JPG

CrazyMonkey likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a mis-informed agent. The passenger who was dueling (assuming they were unto themselves eligible for lounge access, and the daughter was under 18) would be able to bring their immediate family in, even if more than two people. Any agent telling them otherwise was patently incorrect.

From AA.com: "Immediate family refers to spouse, domestic partner and/or children under 18 years of age"

Frankly, the majority of lounge access controversies can be resolved (or avoided altogether) based on how you ask. I've gotten FL access (as EXP, not OW-E) on an A fare ticket on a three-class domestic transcon (J, upgraded to F) numerous times. I simply say that my secretary booked me on an A fare, and ask if there's any way to make an exception to let me in. I ask nicely, make a little chit-chat with the dragon. I've only been turned down once out of maybe 5 asks. YMMV.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The immediately family rule does not apply to all types of access, so you're assuming the people I encountered fell into one of those categories. Not to mention that even *I* do not know the full story of what was going on, and the individuals might not be related and I had simply assumed they were family. The point being, as you noted, YMMV and to be safe one should not assume that access rules are as relaxed as some find them. Even if we are polite and charming travelers. :)

9. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, 1 guest (does not have to be travelling with you) is permitted. I've done this many times as QF Plat/OWE in LAX, ORD, and JFK.

aptraveler and perryplatypus like this.