Flagship Lounge access at JFK

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Dave, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be flying on CX 888 in first from HKG-YVR-JFK. Because of time zones, it leaves HKG 3/15, arrives in YVR on 3/14, and then arrives at JFK on 3/15. I'll then be flying from JFK-DCA in AA first. Would I have access to the Flagship Lounge in JFK? Thanks!

2. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup!
    you are entitled to access by arriving in F on a OW flight and continuing anywhere in any class on an AA (or, in fact any OW) flight.

3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Dave

Dave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply. One note:

"American Airlines AAdvantage® Program members, regardless of their tier status, may not use lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries (defined as within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean)."

I was a bit worried that because my last leg was a North American leg (YVR-JFK) they would deny me entry. I guess this isn't the case?

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you flew to DCA on a different day or itinerary, then you couldn't access the lounge. If it's all the same itinerary with the international segment, same day connection, no issue.

6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely can have two separate itineraries. The only limitation is that the next oneworld flight must be within 24 hours.

As to your worry on the wording, the word "solely" is the key. You aren't flying solely NA, you're coming from Asia in F. Enjoy the lounge. :)

edit to add: in your itinerary I don't think they see your last segment as YVR-JFK, I'm pretty sure it shows as HKG-JFK same as your ticket. I've been on that flight and don't recall 2 boarding passes.

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly you can, but I've found that it sometimes requires significant extra work to convince folks that you belong there. Heck, at JFK one day they were going to send me into the AC as an EXP returning from an international J flight.

As for the "24 hours" comment, please note the specific wording from the OW access rules:
    So you can ask for 24 hours, but it depends on how the AAngel decides to read the words "same day". There is no restriction on same itinerary, but I've had to do some convincing from time to time.

8. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I base my comment on always having split PNRs on my international flights and their domestic hookups. You're right sometimes you have to talk a little, but I have never been denied. Most of the connections I have to take involve an overnight at the US gateway and they will honor last flight in, first flight out as "same day". It's been my experience also on CX and BA in their respective lounges, both with split PNRs and technically different days, but clearly the same trip.
    Not sure you could get away with, say a 5pm arrival and next day 4pm departure, but last in, first out for sure.

9. rchavez
    Original Member

rchavez Active Member

Status Points:
    Easiest way to convince them....keep your inbound BP. Showing them that should be all that is required.

pjoalfa likes this.
  10. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Should is the operative word. Even when I handed the desk agent my inbound BP as I reached the desk, she didn't understand why I was giving it to her. A little back and forth (after she pointed me into the AC) and she finally realized.... "Oh, that's why you gave me the boarding pass"....

So, yeah, it "should" be all it takes, unfortunately real life sometimes gets in the way...

Know the rules and be persistent

11. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! Most of the time, I have had no troubles being admitted to the FL at LAX (proceeding on to SFO or SBA), ORD (proceeding on to SFO); once or twice, I have had to explain to an unknowegdeable agent why I was expecting Flagship Lounge access, and I was perfectly willing to escalate to a supervisor (LAX).

Microwave likes this.