Five things you didn’t know about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by NileGuide, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. [​IMG]
    Courtesy of Universal Orlando Resort
    I readily admit it. I’m a sucker for all things Harry Potter. I’d be happy to sport a maroon and gold-striped scarf in chilly temps, discuss the rules of Quidditch and down an ice-cold butterbeer (a frothy, non-alcoholic drink) quicker than you can say Lumos!
    I’m not the only one. The special drink is so popular that more than one million of them have been sold already. It’s so special that only J.K. Rowling knows the ingredients. That got me to thinking. What are other little-known facts about the park? I rounded up five to whet your appetite.
    1. 34 varieties of candy
    The tasty treats at Honeydukes are definitely something to write home about. Believe it or not, the Wizarding World actually sells 34 varieties of candy. Just think: How often do you get to nibble on a Cauldron Cake or nosh on Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavour Beans (Warning: each one is a surprise; some are sardine-flavored). Not your cup of tea? Well, the shelves are stocked with plenty of delightful sweets, too. Exploding Bonbons, Treacle Fudge and Fizzing Whizzbees, to name a few.
    2. Movie memorabilia
    Don’t forget Zonko’s Joke Shop for plenty of cool collectibles. And by that, we mean Sneakoscopes, Extendable Ears and Screaming Yo-Yos. Plus, the window display has fireworks. Once inside, you’ll see a black decoy detonator in the display that was used in one of the Harry Potter films.

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of Universal Orlando Resort
    3. Flying golden snitch
    At Spintwitches Sporting Needs you will see a Golden Snitch darting around the store.
    This store was actually the first building made for the Wizarding World. Engineers constructed it off-site and even tested its ability to withstand hurricanes.
    4. Quidditch gear
    If Quidditch (a fast-pace wizard sport played on flying broomsticks) equipment is what you fancy, then Dervish and Banges is the place. Choose between Nimbus Two Thousand and Firebolt brooms, and style yourself Harry-like with a Hogwarts robe, striped scarf and tie. Look behind the store and you’ll find two brooms in a window that were featured in the films.
    5. 15,000 individual wand boxes
    Make a beeline toward Ollivanders wand shop in Diagon Alley. Inside, you’ll be surrounded by 15,000 individual wand boxes (all placed there by hand) stacked in boxes from floor to ceiling. Soon enough, an inquisitive wandkeeper will guide you through the one-of-a-kind experience where the wand chooses you.
    To purchase tickets, click here.

Continue reading...