Five months out, E- almost Booked or Blocked?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Nelumbo, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to book the red-eye UA770 SFO-BOS (operated on 752) on 11/27 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving). I was surprised to see that in the E- section, row 22-39 were booked out (one seat open in row 39 ), and only row 40 is completely unoccupied. There are only 6 seats occupied in E+ and F is completely empty. The fare inventory shows F9, A9, Y9, B9, M5, and the other classes are 0.
    I am curious whether the seats were really booked out or blocked for later release. If there is no possibility for lower fare inventory to be released, I might have to book a standard award.
    UA506 LAX-BOS on the same night is also F9, A9, Y9, B9, E9, U9. Not many seats left in E-.
    Any suggestion is appreciated.

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expert flyer shows as booked. A blocked seat would have an x but who knows how accurate their data is

Nelumbo likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This makes perfect sense. The Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the heaviest travel days of the year. The flight is booked by once-a-year travelers, non-elite travelers hence they've all got seats in E-. Business travelers aren't booking that flight or booking so early so of course E+ is empty.

In general holiday travel does book pretty early, though I admit I'm surprised to see that flight so heavily booked and nothing lower than M available. That certainly means the airline expects it to be pretty darned sold out. Sure, if it sells below expectation they could well release more discount fare bucket inventory. But don't be surprised if it's even more booked up than it appears from the seat map, many of these once-a-year travelers may not even have seat assignments!

The JetBlue and Virgin America SFO-BOS redeyes look to have similar sorts of inventory.

So my best suggestion would be to look for another flight, see how SFO-JFK-BOS prices, for instance, if you must do a redeye. Or consider leaving a little bit earlier to grab SFO-LAS-BOS on US?

Lufthansa Flyer and Nelumbo like this.
  4. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your prompt response and suggestion, 744 and gleff.
    I was hoping to get this redeye SFO-BOS flight because I took a few VDBs from it after holidays in the past years. It was just to my surprise to see the low-fare buckets eliminated this early.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad to help. Sometimes being flexible can yield more options. you can check to see availability sfo-ewr-bos, or sfo-iad-bos. Lots of options to connect between sfo/bos. even den, ord, etc. etc. Let us know if you need any more ideas! Anytime you head into a major hub, your chances for vdb's go up.