Five Guys at LAX

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by yaffa, Nov 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that Five Guys is spreading fast on the West Coast and apparently there are two outlets on Sepulveda Blvd near LAX. The one north in Culver City is a bit far away but the one in El Segundo just south of the airport sounds interesting as a layover destination.

They should have opened the place next to a Parking Spot but looking at Google Maps I could not identify any hotel which may offer a 'free transfer' to Five Guys besides the Homestead Studio Suites Los Angeles El Segundo.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to quickly transfer between LAX and Five Guys?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I gotta tell ya, I usually do Five Guys when departing from the main US Airways pier at DCA. But for LAX, I'd definitely hit In 'N Out Burger. Maybe it's just that I can't get In 'N Out here on the East Coast..

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, In-N-Out beast Five Guys easily. I liked Five Guys more when it was something special I could only get back east, but now that it's everywhere and I compare it to my local favorites, it's not nearly as good. For example, Red Mill in Seattle not only makes a better burger but also has milkshakes.

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    In N Out, a flat beef patty, cooked on a flat top grill to a well done (read no charcoal & no pink which IMO is what makes a great burger), for a fast food chain-made burger, it is ok.

I liked the various toppings at 5 guys but again, flat top grill cooked to a well done.
    local pubs and fast'ish' places will trump chains most everytime.

rwoman and viguera like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess my point is that when I first tried Five Guys, it was not a real chain. It had five family-owned shops, and it was pretty good compared to the other available options in DC. Now that it's franchised, it's in a new class and opens itself up to comparisons with more competitors.

6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hacienda Motel, 525 Sepulveda Blvd, almost next door, has a 24 hour shuttle, Homestead Suites looks like it's in the same shopping center with Ralph's Grocery and I'll bet that's where 5Guys is. Starbucks is in that center at 530 N. Sepulveda, Rubio's Fresh Mex is at 400 N Sepulveda, right next to Ralph's. Therefore, Five Guys, 460 N. Sepulveda HAS to be in that shopping center, which is 2 miles from LAX terminals, on Bus 232! I really like Google

5guys.jpg

7. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an In-N-Out not far from LAX. Despite being geographically close, it's a bit of a pain to get to. That said, when I'm in town I try to reserve a little time before my flight for a Double Double...

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here when I'm in LAS. Or last time I was in SFO, I drove like 5-10 miles off-course just to pick some up. :)

But I think it's like gleff said, about having stuff that you don't have nearby. I used to go way out of my way for Sonic's, but now I don't bother as much. And Sonic IMO trumps both In-N-Out and Five Guys.

Yeah I went there. :)

Titans26 and ChicagoEric like this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. I have a Five Guys four blocks from my apartment now, and I rarely go there. There's even a Potbelly downtown (and I still love Potbelly) but I haven't been there since it opened a few months ago.

But I still go to In-N-Out every time my dad picks me up at SFO. :cool:
    "In-N-Out, In-N-Out. That's what a burger is all about!" is a stupid song, but at least it's accurate.

10. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have enjoyed Five Guys a couple of times in Chicago and in Las Vegas..a very good burger I think. I also enjoy In N Out, although I have never understood the cult like devotion some people have for it. It is a very tasty, solid burger that is inexpensive. However, I guess living on the west coast my whole life, and always having it tempers that...kind of like when I go to Chicago and hunger for an Italian Beef/Sausage Combo.

JosephMay likes this.
  11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I have to mention that the LAX In-n-Out is a renowned plane spotting location, or do we all know that already?

We do? Okay, carry on....:oops:

rwoman likes this.
  12. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Live in the DC area and always have to get In N Out when on the west coast

yaychemistry and rwoman like this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first meal upon landing in California last week was a double double. ;) Of course, as it was 7am in the UK, it was like having a burger for breakfast. :D

14. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just have the Parking Spot (Sepulveda location - blue sign on front of shuttle, not Century location - red sign) shuttle take you to their lot and hop off and you're there. Hop back on shuttle when done.

ChicagoEric and rwoman like this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody notice how the topic of a competing burger joint is brought up and the thread is largely hijacked in favor of In-N-Out?? :D

yaffa, mowogo, harvson3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    to be fair, this is referring to LAX, which has an established procedure for many board members taking the shuttle to In-N-Out

goheerow likes this.
  17. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry IMHO, Five Guys is a better burger than In-n-out.

18. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Vegas, Holsteins at the Cosmopolitan makes a great Burger although for the price of one I'd guess you can at least 6 Double Doubles. And I'm told Le Burger Brasserie at Paris is very good. For those of you who have too much money or are just plain crazy, Le Burger Brasserie has a "$777 Kobe Beef and Maine Lobster Burger, topped with caramelized onions, imported Brie, crispy prosciutto and 100-year aged balsamic vinegar and served with a bottle of Rose Dom Perignon champagne."
    (Yes I know- Way off Topic.)

Scottrick likes this.
  19. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than the bus, an alternative is to have a friend from MP/FT pick you up at the airport. Treat the driver to a meal, catch up, and avoid the bus/shuttle ;)

lili and JosephMay like this.
  20. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the OP's question is How to get to Five Guys from LAX. He knows, as most of us do, how to get to INO. This is not to debate the merits of INO and other random burger places.We want to know how to do a Five Guys run, since the INO using the Parking Spot is a no brainer.

(BTW, it's what you've grown up with. I've tried FiveGuys at IAD, downtown DC and Caljfornia and am not really a fan. INO has a slight edge. Could be because 5Guys expects you to know what you want on your burger and INO just does it. So I had raw onions that were tough and cut too large and I had to extricate them from the burger and my mouth and some ketchup. Forgot to ask for the lettuce and tomato, this is SoCal just assumed it would be there. Overall the $1 McDonald's double cheeseburger (no lettuce and tomoato there) is actually better than the $3.79 5Guys although the guys have better meat.)

21. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also like LBS at the Red Rock in Vegas...pricey but good.

22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the title, I thought it was about Five Guys....even if I did not have family in SoCal, I'd fly out for a Double Double. ;)

23. yaffa
    Original Member

yaffa Silver Member

Status Points:
    lili answered the question perfectly and I guess I'll have to do a MR to LAX and put the plan to test.
    Now let the In'n'Out vs. Five Guys flame war begin ... I have my Martini ready ;-)

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  24. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, this is incorrect. The white on red font is the Sepulveda shuttle, and the white on blue is the Century shuttle. You want the Sepulveda to get to In n Out.

25. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right, I got em mixed up. Thanks for the correction.