Five dollar fare hold

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by 7Continents, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been booking a few tickets lately and this morning, I got the opportunity to hold the fare for 7 days for a charge of $5.00. Is this only for elites, or a test on a few reservations? A stab at more additional revenue a-la CO?

2. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FareLocks have been available at CO since December. It's available for all general pax. I think it's a great program & I'm sure CO benefits greatly from it. I wonder if it will be carried over to the new UA.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They tested these a while ago. The test program offered the hold at a variety of price points to see what consumers were willing to pay. I suppose they found a good price point.....

I've seen it a few times since it first appeared and haven't given it much though. The 24 hour free hold is good enough for me. :)

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a price point of $7 per ticket on a $150 ticket to MCO.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh....but when CO instituted FareLock they also got rid of the ability to (easily) hold a fare. I would not be surprised if AA acted similarly.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I wouldn't either, but for now it's still here. There would be a bit of an uproar about the loss of the free hold, but that doesn't mean I can't see AA doing it.

7. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    24 hours free, 6 days more for $5. As long as they track the fare rules and advise you that if the flight sells out you are out of luck, it's a good deal for both elites and kettles. Maybe charge the kettles more?

8. Jimmy28

Jimmy28 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they want more people to get that new Citi AA Executive card they should add the 7-day hold as a benefit.

9. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, when CO did that they went to a 24 hour refund policy. Given that there's a lot of noise in Washington right now about requiring airlines to provide either a 24-hour hold or 24-hour refund, I'd expect that if AA eliminates the hold they go to a refund policy like some other carriers do. I much prefer AA's hold policy to DL's 24-hour refund policy, which is a hassle....