Five Different Airlines- YYZ-SEA-GEG-DEN-BOS-YTZ

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by canadensechris, Feb 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. canadensechris

canadensechris Active Member

Status Points:
    I have flown a lot and worked for a major airline when I was younger so I know the ways of the biz, but this is my first trip report on a paid ticket so let me know what you think!

Planning for this trip (almost a year in advance), I knew it wasn't going to be the cheapest as flying at the holidays are not cheap. I knew if I was persistent and checked multiple sources then I would come out with at least a reasonable price and flights that I would like.

It turns out that flying from YYZ to GEG is almost always more expensive than flying from YYZ to LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG/FRA/MUC and usually takes less time to Europe as there are no non-stops to GEG. (But whyyy would there be a nonstop?).

I didn't want a return ticket as we wanted to stop over In BOS on the way back for New Year celebrations! I did my multiple search option and plugged in the cities we wanted. Ughh redeyes popped up and I thought, "what a waste" as time was limited and we didn't want to be lagged for NYE! Flying from west to east in NA is always tiresome as you have to take a redeye, early morning flight or pay a little more to get a flight were one can sleep in a little and still get to the east coast at a reasonable hour without having to rewire your sleep cycle. I wanted to know I made a good choice so I researched some more.
    Then, I began to play around with how much it would be if I just bought one way tickets and if any carriers had better times other than the ones that don't show up in IATA, Expedia, Kayak...etc.

It turns out that buying One-Ways was a bit cheaper than using a multitrip search! The bonus was that I got to finally fly JetBlue as they had the time I wanted. I am not sure this is always the case, but I checked religiously everyday to find cheaper fares. I finally pulled the trigger. So the final routing for the whole trip was FIVE different airlines, five flights and four different aircraft during the holidays. Good thing we only were planning carry-ons and no checked baggage!
    So the routing and airlines are:
    YYZ-SEA AC 541
    SEA-GEG AS 698
    CEL-EBR-ATE!
    GEG-DEN WN2616
    DEN-BOS B6 494
    BOS-YTZ PD 946
    [​IMG]
    map (1) by canadense
    Getting to the airport was seamless on the TTC (though having to connect from a subway to a bus to get to YYZ is a pain, when will YTO step into the future?). We wanted to have enough time to have a late lunch before our 5:30pm departure so we left about 1p and took our time. It is always nice to have a good sleep-in and travel to the airport without the rush, especially around the holidays.
    We checked-in online 24 hours prior and had our seats and boarding pass already. Since it was a long flight we opted to pay a small fee for the emergency exit’s extra legroom. It was definitely worth it on this flight. The flight from YYZ to SEA is scheduled for 5 hours but I think 5 hours is buffer time for strong headwinds and deicing. It always amazes me that this smaller plane can fly that far and that fast. Maybe they will put it on YHZ-LHR in the future!
    We didn’t have to wait in any lines as we only had carry-on. So it was straight to US customs after completing the form. I was curious to see how the line up would be on a Sunday before Christmas but was pleasantly surprised that there was no line! We immediately went up to an agent got stamped and were on our way to security. Interesting that customs is before security.
    We stood on the “Mat of Destiny” which gives you a green left arrow or green right arrow for crowd control to the x-ray machines. Luckily we got the green right arrow which spat us over into the priority/nexus screening line and didn’t have to wait at all to undress and put things on the belt for the scanner!
    Needless to say, from the moment we stepped off the bus at Terminal 1 we had gone through customs and security in 10-15 minutes! Carry on luggage and online check-in is the way to go! Well, and getting to the airport in between airplane pushes.
    YYZ, while newer, still isn’t the best airport. You must hike it everywhere. There are few shops and restaurants to choose from. It is drab and this is only Terminal 1! Terminal 3 is worse!
    Molsen pub was the place to sit and get served. The hostess took it upon herself to be nice and sit us within view of TV screens because there were games on. American Football games. I am not one for football, can’t stand it. Before sitting I asked if there was spot near the window so I can see the planes and she excitingly said YES! She said it is usually kids that like to sit and see the plane. Well consider me guilty.
    We had a good view of ongoing operations and in the distant you could see planes land. It was great to take our time. After our meal we decided to get our Tim’s fix and go for a walk to find a non-crowded gate and to charge up the phones. Meanwhile I snapped a few pictures. It is always nice to see the masses traveling but always interesting to see how full the airport is this time of year, especially flights down south!
    [​IMG]
    IMG-20121223-00053 by canadense
    I was continuing to monitor the inbound aircraft as it was coming from DEN. I had been monitoring it all week and it had always been on-time which meant an on-time departure for SEA. Of course, today would be the exception.
    Some spotting of the push to Europe.
    [​IMG]
    Xmas 2012 and NYE Idaho and BOS 001 by canadense
    Keep in mind that I purchased each leg separately but buffered in a considerable amount of time in case of delays or irops. Our plan was to get to SEA and then fly on AS to GEG. We already had checked-in for the 11pm AS flight to GEG. AS has the flexibility that if you are flying from SEA to GEG or SEA to PDX then you can standby free for later flights.
    As I continued to monitor our AC on-time performance I was hoping to get into SEA about 715pm and hoping to standby for the 8pm AS flight to GEG or the 9pm flight. Of course that probably could have happened if today had been anytime in the previous week.
    Our inbound aircraft eventually arrived 30 minutes before our departure so our flight to SEA was pushed back to 5:40pm. Ok, fine, I thought, but having worked for an airline before I knew different. So we found seats at our gate and Microsoft was touting their new product so we tried it out to pass some time all in the proximity of our gate.
    Since it was the holiday season I had seen on Facebook the week before that YYZ Pearson airport had holiday carollers that would go around and sing to people arriving or departing. All you had to do was tweet them the person who you wanted to be sung to and the flight number and date for free. I jumped on the opportunity but kept it a secret for my husband as I wanted to surprise him! Sure enough, he was surprised! We got to choose 2 songs and they were great! It put you in such a great holiday spirit! Who doesn’t love traveling during the holidays?
    [​IMG]
    Xmas 2012 and NYE Idaho and BOS 004 COPY by canadense

violist, mht_flyer and Kalboz like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    wonder why you started 11 threads? couldnt all 11 fit under one thread

3. canadensechris

Status Points:
    really to make a point about how one can't simply type up a trip report in word and then copy and paste it over into ONE thread. Kind of silly that you can only post five pictures at a time and have a full membership

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Multiple posts. No need for a new thread for each. Just reply in the same thread. It works VERY well.

And, believe it or not, there are some good reasons to limit the number of images in any one post.

edekba likes this.
  5. canadensechris

Status Points:
    lame excuse, it goes back to my same reasoning

again, why would I pay extra? won't do it. This website isn't living up to it's potential

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends if you want people to read your posts or not, I suppose.

Put them in one thread, and the odds of them being read are significantly higher.

edekba and iolaire like this.
  8. canadensechris

Status Points:
    really to make a point about how one can't simply type up a trip report in Word and then copy and paste it over into ONE thread. Kind of silly that you can only post five pictures at a time

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    copy & paste much? How hard is it to copy & pastein each reply vs create new threads... that's all I am saying

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alternatively... if you have a blog, post it there, and crosslink to your blog post here (with a short explanation to entice people to come look). If you don't have a blog and you want to make long posts with many photos, a blog may be a better avenue.

Your posts were interesting, they were just work to read and the more bother to read, the less likely the content will be read.

canadensechris likes this.