Five Dead In Vegas Tourist Helicopter Crash

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by uggboy, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Five Dead In Vegas Tourist Helicopter Crash:(

SOURCE: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/five-dead-vegas-tourist-helicopter-crash-034422529.html

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There sure seem to be frequent tourist helicopter crashes - whether in Hawaii, Las Vegas or New York. While I don't have any statistical data, it sure doesn't seem to be a safe activity. You don't hear of nearly as many heli-skiing or other helicopter crashes. Do these tourist operations have particularly lax standards or poorly trained pilots?

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, hearing and reading about it rather often, the safety standards have to be questioned in such operations for tourists. It sounds like easy money, lets hope they think about people too and take travel security seriously.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they compromise safety in favor of trying to get good views.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the views, this would be one reason why tourists want to fly with such helicopter companies in the first place, but seeing the technology, many things about close-up flights are possible, I do believe however it is more about the maintenance of the gear and the pilots themselves.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the good pilots (military combat pilots?) probably have better job opportunities after leaving the service than flying tourists from LAS to Hoover Dam and back. While I have no evidence one way or the other, I wouldn't be surprised if many of these pilots were the equivalent of regional airliner pilots... fresh out of self-funded pilot school with limited experience.

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I meant with the pilots themselves, maybe they had been the problem, maybe the helicopter, maybe the need to make profit was greater than safety. It's nevertheless a profit machine. We all know the old adage of " tourist traps" and why should it be in this business any different in the first place. Are these service regulated on a state level or even federal level? Are pilots trained to transport tourists who expect views from such a tour you wouldn't expect otherwise? Is the company a company who is in good financial help or not? Questions over questions could and should be ask seeing the history of such incidents and accidents over the years.