First timer.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by als66208, Aug 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, another newb. What's your best advice? I have few to no opportunities to travel for business so all points are earned in other ways (paid flights, CCs, online shopping, and yes... surveys...). How would you recommend I maximize? Thanks in advance!

8MiHi, marcwint55 and delff128 like this.
  2. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome. My best advice would be to become an active member of the Milepoint community. Personally I've learned a ton over the past year.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends. Where are most of your costs? Flights or hotels? If it's evenly spread, you might look at points that can be used for either. There are enough credit card gurus here to help with that.

Otherwise, sign up for everything in your everyday life - register your credit cards with an airline dining program to get points when you eat out, make reservations at OpenTable to get free meals, etc. Lots of earning potential out there!

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Also a good idea to outline some short-term goals. Do you want to fly somewhere? If so, international or domestic? Will you have the money to pay for hotels and/or rental cars when you travel or do you need to have some diversity to cover all your costs?

8MiHi, marcwint55 and TravelBear like this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Echo everyone above. And welcome!

8MiHi and marcwint55 like this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. As most people will tell you, get some of the credit cards that have large bonuses for signing up and try to get in the habit of paying everything possible with those. Simple things like utility bills and groceries can add up to many miles over time. You will always find lots of helpful information here.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell us about your goals and objectives for earning, please. Glad to offer strategies....but need to know for what! :)

8. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simple ways to have Milepoint pros (not me) help:

1. What airports are you closest to/like to fly from when you do?
    2. Where do you travel/desire to travel most?
    3. Do you care which airline?
    4. Echoing those above...what is your goal/dream destination?

9. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:

Thank you for you initial welcome!! To start:

1. MCI - Kansas City
    2. The destination we regularly travel to most often is Orlando (my Father in Law lives there), but we also try to make one to two additional domestic or international trips on top of that every year (last year was New Zealand/Australia and Barcelona, this year is London and Hawaii).
    3. I like Southwest for domestic, but no preference for international travel (although I do have a small collection of United Miles).
    4. Future dream goals/destinations would include South Africa, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, and Thailand.

Mike Reed likes this.
  10. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:

Thank you for this!! We currently have a Capital One Venture, and use it for almost everything we can. Additionally, I'm thinking of getting a card exclusively for work use. Suggestions for this? The amounts I'd use it per month would vary, but would only very rarely total over $1K a month.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I definitely wouldn't use miles for travel to MCO. Cheap tickets are pretty easy to come by there. You can likely go in the direction of UA or AA based on where you live and reach two hubs for international travel rather easily with both.

I think your future destinations lean you slightly towards UA as it can be easier to generate UA miles using the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What type of charges for work? Travel or goods and services?

13. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. MCI - Kansas City
    2. The destination we regularly travel to most often is Orlando (my Father in Law lives there), but we also try to make one to two additional domestic or international trips on top of that every year (last year was New Zealand/Australia and Barcelona, this year is London and Hawaii).
    3. I like Southwest for domestic, but no preference for international travel (although I do have a small collection of United Miles).
    4. Future dream goals/destinations would include South Africa, Dubai/Abu Dhabi, and Thailand.[/quote]

Yay! Another MCI pal! I fly out of MCI as well, and would say with your dream destinations you want to build up your United miles. As far as domestic, I have found AA to be as competitive out of MCI as Southwest, unless you are going to small, regional airports. Of course, it all depends on where and when. I have chosen to accrue with AA or UA with my domestic to help with the international trips. I don't know about you, but I haven't found much good with Delta out of KC. Hopefully some of the more seasoned members can help you out!

Mike Reed likes this.
  14. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:

Almost entirely goods and services.

15. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:

Very cool!! As a frequent KCI traveler what are your thoughts on the new airport initiative?

16. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I have gotten used to it the way it is...not sure it is the best idea.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    New airport initiative?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. als66208

als66208 Active Member

Status Points:

http://www.flykci.com/Newsroom/NewTerminal/Index.htm

As is MCI is great for locals... crazy easy pick-up and drop-off, and short or no lines for security and ticketing. But boy, I can't imagine a worse place to suffer through a long layover. Like @clscholes, most Kansas Citians are opposed to the proposed change.

19. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    The short version is that they would turn the MCI airport into one large terminal instead of three. There are pros and cons to both (modernizing, integrating stores into gate areas), but I am afraid it will get rid of the ease of getting in and out of the airport easily, like you can now. Who knows? We should know something later this year as far as plans and the vote.

20. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do agree with the long layover...boring fast...

21. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, if you see any good MR out of MCI, let me know...they seem hard to come by!

22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

The Amex starwood card is good as it gives you flexibility to use for hotels or airline miles, and when you transfer miles to an airline you get 25,000 miles for every 20,000 that you transfer. I would also think about churning a few cards for the bonuses. From what you stated earlier you might be able to get two or three sign bonuses every year.

23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Since UA miles are likely best currency for you to stockpile, I'd say look at the Chase UR cards, more specifically Ink Plus and Bold since you can get get bonus miles on office supplies (and gift cards you buy at office supply stores, a lot has been written about this strategy). The Freedom card might work for you but the bonus categories change every quarter.

24. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree w/ pizza - UR points have some great bonuses and off great flexibility. Definitely look into thr Ultimate Rewards mall for multipliers.