First Timer

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Glitch, Dec 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    This will be my first time ever using "travel hacks" to travel. I'm still a little confused and feel as if im leaving out some valuable tricks and tips.

I have a barclay credit card that I got my sign up bonus of 40,000 points (roughly $400). Used the points to take off a chunk of my round trip tickets from Boston to Osaka (Japan). I found a great deal (I believe) for $690.30 round trip on United and with the 40,000 points ill be spending just under $300 for my round trip.

I just signed up for United frequent flyer program and hope that I will still be able to use this flight for miles. Do I have to purchase the ticket after I signed up to get the miles?

Any credit cards that could help me get upgraded seats or extra perks during my layover? Or can I purchase united points to get an upgrade on already purchased seats?

Any other programs I should sign up for to benefit from during my trip? Ive only flown a few times dont know any tricks for lounges or any other air port benefits. I will have a couple hour layovers if anyone has some good tips or hacks to get the best points and miles.

Thanks happy travels!

Counsellor and satman40 like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Just make sure your MP number gets added to the reservation.

You could get the United Club VISA and it would give you access to red carpet, eh, United Clubs. Not worth it, IMO. You could also buy miles and combine it with extra cash (co-pay) to upgrade, but that is likely 3+ times what you paid for the flight alone.

edekba likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would have been better off to have put more miles in the bank before you started spending.

You could have used you first trip to a FTU Conference, and enjoyed some returns on your investment. I have attended several, and have over 30 years of chasing miles, started flying in the early 50s with taildragers.

It is your trip, enjoy.

Myself I would have built a stronger foundation, and had many future trips, but you have done well, far better than most.

Again enjoy the trip..

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How were those Ftu events 30 years ago? Or even just five or so years ago?

Somehow many people manage to travel without them.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Advantage number started in 84, when I started flying AA they still had tail dragers, it is really a different world out there., wish I had signed up for the Advantage Number earlier, back then we used the Rail Road for travel quite a bit.

FT use to and still does put on events in Chicago every year, at the Holliday Inn, 4 years or so before Randy started his FTU events,

First one I went to that Randy put on was in SEA, 3 or 4 years ago,

I think he use to be with FT before MP,

The FTUs are more about gaining miles, and using them., most of the people I meet were pretty decent,

The company paid for my flights, but the upgrades would never be there without the miles, nor would the free trips my wife and I give away.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    You think its better for me to hold on to my barclay points? All the points I have are from the sign up bonus. I haven't used the points yet but was planning on it. I doubt ill have a good stock pile of points from this card for another couple years.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion it depends on what sort of points or miles you're getting with the card.

Many travelers save their miles for something special, and redeem them for (perhaps) First Class travel to a vacation resort as a sort of reward. Redeeming the miles for something that would cost a lot of cash if purchased outright is part of what they strive for, and they may look for a redemption that equates to 4 or even more cents per mile For that reason, they don't hurry to redeem miles on ordinary flights.

However, you speak of "points" rather than "miles". If you're getting points that can be redeemed like cash (i.e., you redeem them with the credit card issuer against a charge for air fare made on that credit card, like with the Capital One Venture card), then the points have a uniform value, say a penny reduction in the charge for each point redeemed. In that case, there are no real "bargains" to save up the points for, and it makes perfect sense to spend them as fast as you get them.

By the way, welcome to InsideFlyer. I hope you come back often, and read through postings on topics you find interesting. Ask questions if you don't understand something, and we'll be happy to help. Pretty soon you'll be giving advice based on your experiences, and that adds to the value for all of us (and to the pleasure for you).

One useful hint: If you run into a term or acronym that you don't understand, highlight it with your cursor and a box will appear in the upper right corner of the screen with information that may explain what it means, or what airport it refers to. To see what I mean, try it for example on FTU, which was referred to in a couple of posts earlier in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Glitch and Pizzaman like this.