First time using points/miles desperately need some help!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by maurice89, Jun 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. maurice89

maurice89 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I've never taken advantage of using the points I've acquired through my credit cards, and I'd like to use them for an upcoming trip we are planning. I have a chase sapphire preferred card and Citi thank you card combined with almost 200,000 points.

I've been doing some research and it seems there are ways to get more out your points than just 1:1 when booking travel. I've read about people booking full vacations at a fraction of what I am being quoted through my reward programs.

Is there a site or some kind of travel agent/broker that can help me understand how to use my points and how I can maximize the points I have.

I am trying to book flights from NYC to Cancun around thanksgiving time. If anyone has any info they can share that would help me through the process whether it be websites or travel agents PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

MX likes this.
  2. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    What days were you planning on going? You can convert your Ultimate rewards points to Southwest and fly LGA-CUN. There is also a Hyatt Regency that is only 8K points a night which you can also transfer points to. In order to advise you better we would need to know some more details about your trip.

As far as I know there are no transfer options which are better than 1:1, however, I am not as familiar with Thank You points.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you booking a vacation pkg or just flights/hotel. Usually with UR its more benificial to book flights/hotels vs booking a vacation pkg. Vacation Pkg are usually redeemed for 1cent/point thus your value is not so much.

TUMD likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to maximize your points' value, you'll need to do most of your travel planning yourself. If you'd rather purchase retail or use agents / brokers, they would have to be compensated (with or without your knowledge). The former option is more appropriate if you have some spare time (i.e. not desperate), and enjoy learning new methods. If that's the case, you've come to the right forum. :) This resource is specifically intended for exchanging travel-related knowledge, and various ways to use the points. None of it is difficult, but there's lots of info here.
    So hope you can now settle into the learning process without desperation. Welcome to MP!