First time trying figure out the best value for Hong Kong hotels with UR Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Jan 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a spread sheet for the first time trying to see how to get the most value out of my UR points on hotels in Hong Kong. This is my first time doing something like this (I have always been looking at getting the points, not using them) so I hope I set up the math correctly. I basically took the price of the hotel for one night divided by the amount of points it costs for one night. The higher the number the better right? So the winner would be the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong?

I'm not quite sure on how to set up the cash and points options though. I wouldn't take $40 divided by 40000 points because the hotel room is not worth $40. Would it be $348 divided by 40000?

IHG:
    Intercontinental $308 45000 = 0.0068
    40000 $40
    35000 $370
    Hotel Indigo $425 30000 = 0.0142
    25000 $40
    20000 $70
    Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay $296 45000 = 0.0066
    40000 $40
    35000 $70
    Hiliday Inn Golden Mile $232 35000 = 0.0066
    30000 $40
    25000 $70

Marriott:
    Renaissance Harbour View $328 30000 = 0.0109
    JW Marriott $427 35000 = 0.0122
    Courtyard Hong Kong $206 20000 = 0.0103

Hyatt:
    Grand Hyatt Hong Kong $416 22000 = 0.0189

uggboy likes this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you are trying to figure out how to get the most in room rate against points and assuming your cash+pts example is for the Intercontinental HK, then you should take the room rate, subtract the cash portion and divide by the pts portion. Thus, for the same example, it should be $268 / 40,000 pts = .0067

Now, taking a step back, are these figures valuable for you? In other words, do you truly place the value of your stay equivalent to what the room rate is? There are many instances where the room rates can go sky high but is that the value you would place on staying there? It's easy utilizing published room rates but in many instances, they do not represent the true value to you.

Another factor is points. If you have an unlimited miles/pts account, then by all means, you can shoot for the highest value from your spreadsheet. However, if you are like most people and miles/pts are a limited resource, then only you can know what it is worth to select lower point redemption options (like cash+pts or lower pt hotels) that allow you to stretch your trip. In these situations, you would truly need to factor in the cost of paying for additional nights at the same or alternate hotels into your calculation.

Hope this is helpful.

3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome points! Thanks!:)

uggboy likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would look in the HR HKG TST.

From what people tell me ... HK Island itself is not where most the touristy things happen... and the nightly lightshow is on the HK side, thus u want to be land side from your tall hotel room to see it :)

but i might be mistaken

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I definitely like that it is 7,000 cheaper a night! I don't remember seeing that when searching for Hyatt hotels in Hong Kong.

So I want to be North of Victoria Harbour looking south for the symphony of lights?

And then most of the touristy stuff is north of Victoria Harbour as well?

Singapore Flyer and edekba like this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends why you want to do. You do want to be on the otherwise (north) looking at HK island. I personally like staying in the Mong Kok area. Great restaurants. Locals hang out there and access to the MTR and taxis if you must. There weren't a lot of chains in those areas when I checked for the folks. Most of them are usually in high end touristy or business areas. Even though HK is small enough to get around like Manhattan and Singapore by taxi, it is still a PIA if you aren't near a train stop.

With that said, my wife stayed at the JW with club access on her platinum challenge and it was great stay. The breakfast top notch. Whole Abalone and scallops with congee. Blew her mind.

edekba and merice107 like this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott and IHG points, in general, are not too valuable. If you are set on using UR points for a hotel stay, other than topping off an account you are generally best with Hyatt. Many of your examples you'd be better off just redeeming through UR directly (at 1.25 cents per point) which also would earn points on the stay rather than transferring.

Overall the best "value" with UR is generally in airline transfers or for high-value hyatt redemptions. Personally the options you list I would not do if I had alternatives. The hyatt I might consider (along with other hyatts), but there's a reasonable chance I'd end up paying for a lower-cost hotel in cash, or using existing points already in one of the hotel programs.

Short (and generalized) version: Other than topping off existing balances, I would not transfer UR to hotels other than Hyatt, and would weigh that strongly against the possibility to use the points for airfare.

merice107 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I like the Hong Kong side. It's a cheap ferry to the other side. Then again, I stayed in a Peak View room at the Conrad, so.....

[​IMG]

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both sides are great but the most important thing to me is to be near a MTR station. The Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay is in a great location just a few short blocks to the MTR. Plus the mall which sits above the MTR has 2 great dim sum restaurants (1 has a Michelin star, the other is a great value) and just to the east of the mall down a side street is another Michelin star hole in the wall place. You're also a short ride from Happy Valley if you plan on seeing the ponies run.

Of course, a lot of the action is in TST and the view in the evenings is to be seen from the waters edge on the Avenue of Stars just outside the IC but you can easily get there via the MTR. Can't go wrong with TST but it was especially cheap back when the HI was only 25k pts/nt.

edekba likes this.