First Time to Japan what to see and do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Glitch, Dec 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    This will be my first time going to Japan let alone first time leaving the country. I'll be planning to back pack for about 20 days starting in Osaka Japan. I'll be meeting my friend who has been there for about 5 months studying there language and culture. So I wont be to worried about basic communication once I meet up with him. Right now our only main plans are to climb Mount Fuji and stop in Tokyo as well as see some old samurai temples.

Traveling on a budget so what are some of the best bangs for your buck!?

What are some of your favorite places to stop when you travel to Japan?
    Anything unique you found in Japan compared to most other places?
    Tips for traveling and places to stay for cheap? ( we plan to use airbnb as well as stop at hostels)

Any advice or tips for a first time travel/backpacker would be much appreciated!

Thanks

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did the Hakone Free Pass around Mt Fuji and enjoyed all the methods of transport, trains, cable cars, ropeways, boats and bus... Likely Mt Fuji has something similar.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

uggboy, Glitch, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  3. villadav

villadav Member

Status Points:
    Some of the famous places to visit in Japan includes Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Hakone, Kobe, Sapporo, Kamakura, Kyushu, etc. For visiting these famous places you can book cabs or hire taxi so that you can enjoy to the fullest.

uggboy, Glitch and Kalboz like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is pretty much a horrible idea in Japan. Spectacularly expensive and not really great for exploring. The JR Rail pass may be a smart investment but you should compare the individual train tickets you'll want to buy versus the pass costs.

We had a great time in Kamakura and it is an easy, quiet destination just outside of Tokyo. If baseball is in season it is worth taking in a game for the cultural exposure, even if you're not necessarily a fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further south I very much enjoyed visiting Miyajima as a counter to the heavy emotion of Hiroshima.

uggboy, Glitch, BigBen66 and 3 others like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to all the places you mentioned above but not quite sure why the expensive cab recommendation bearing in mind the OP states they will be on a budget... unless you mean just for very local transport.
    A much better option is to get a JR Rail-pass (or regional passes) . The passes are best purchased before arriving in Japan since they are often available to visitors only and then use it for travel from the cities you will based in.
    Hakone, Kobe and Kamakura for example are easy day trips from Tokyo
    (Although the JR pass will not cover Hakone)

Other places I would recommend would be Nikko, Matsumoto, Nara, Himeji (castle) and a very sobering visit to Hiroshima.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Mt Fuji. Take note of the limited climbing season and avoid holidays and weekends if possible.
    A must see is major league baseball!!!

7. villadav

villadav Member

Status Points:
    It was just my suggestion to book car or taxi. All depends on your pocket and your personal requirements. I think JR Rail cannot reach everywhere that you want to visit. Taxis or cabs allow us to move freely anywhere and at anytime. Everyone have their own way of traveling. Mine is this way.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Vastly more expensive. Good on you.

uggboy and newbluesea like this.