First time on LAN... what to expect?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by TrueBlueFlyer, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I burned off the remainder of my BA miles on two separate award flights on LAN... 1st NYC-SCL connecting to 2. SCL-AKL

I have no visa for South America, so my plan is to simply check my bags thru on both segments of the trip and spend the time at the airport between flights. I should have about a 10 hour connection in Santiago.

Will there be any problems with LAN about this? I called BA from Singapore when I was making the reservations and they said the only way to book this award was using two separate awards online, which I did. They linked the two separate reservations for me. But I understand there is a risk of losing the second leg if the first one goes haywire.

How are the LAN 767 and 340 planes, specifically the AVOD? Is it more like AA or like Qantas?

thanks,
    --Russ

zpaul likes this.
  2. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Russ,

You don't need a visa for Chile and if you're connecting internationally you won't have to pay the Reciprocity Fee. Ten hours might be a lot for SCL, though...it's modern but doesn't have a ton of stuff.

Note that as they are two separate tickets you may have to claim your bags and check-in for the next flight, but LAN can give you more info about that and if you can through-check your bags. If that is the case, you will have to pay the Reciprocity Fee (presuming you're a US citizen), but that's paid at the airport upon arrival.

If you do have to go landside, there's a Holiday Inn at the airport if you want to rest, but it'snot a great value.

LAN's 767s and A340s are modern and clean. AVOD is excellent and resembles Qantas in that there are individual screens in all classes. There are usually more video options than on other carriers; you should be able to keep yourself entertained.

LAN has two lounges in SCL and if you're a J pax you will have access to the Admiral's Club as well. There is a Pacific Club which is affiliated with Priority Pass. Duty free in SCL isn't much of a bargain compared to other places.

Have a good trip!

3. fti

fti Active Member

Status Points:
    Which of the lounges do you like best for J pax?

zpaul likes this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall I prefer the Admirals Club, as it is usually much less crowded during the day - the peak hours for AA are after 20:00. Between the two LAN lounges, Salon Neruda is nicer than Mistral, IMO. It is larger with more options for seating. As well, passengers with access to Mistral can pay for additional guests to join them, so it can become very crowded.

If you have time, I suggest dropping into both the AC and the Neruda so you can make your own decision. The food in the AC is sometimes better, though the adult beverage selection in Neruda is usually better.

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of Duty free... what's DF like in Lima?

dh

Flyer1976, Slow_Mustang and SC Flier like this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never shopped there, but there are other people on the board who are LIM-based and they will hopefully have some good info for you.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that the access policies have changed, and access is now only to the club for the airline you are flying. Individual clubs can let you in at their discretion under the old rules, but the overall oneworld policy has been changed. Given that this is Chile, I don't expect much flexibility.

8. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    one word: alfajores

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing special except the extensive Pisco collection in the Pisco shop. They do have a nice shop that sells fine alpaca wear, but expect to spend $$$. I can't say I've shopped the other standard spirits except a glance and never found anything priced to buy. The Pisco store is very close to the lounge hallway, and also, where you come up from transit security.

Slow_Mustang, Gaucho and zpaul like this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alfajores are Argentine.... please stay away from anything that isnt the real thing... downright nasty... :confused:

11. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taking LAN for the first time for a trip to Lima/Easter Island/Santiago on BA points in a couple of days. The only downside of the trip is that we could get the reward tickets only for the day flight from LAX to Lima, which means sitting at the Lima airport all night, waiting for the morning flight to Cusco. BTW, do they provide pajamas on LAN, or should I take my own BA ones? I do like to lie down and rest up, even though it is an afternoon flight.

12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No pajamas. Standard business class amenity kit (better than UA/AA, etc.)

Flyer1976, puck and Slow_Mustang like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They will not be oversold. I've never seen booze so expensive in a Duty Free shop. As a matter of fact, everything is costly, including M&M's.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've bought Havana's in Santiago though don't recall seeing any on sale in the terminal.

As for interline checked luggage, even on separate tickets this should be possible. When you check in just show your BA ticket to the agent and s/he should be able to tag the bag right through. I did this last week from SIN on SQ to NRT where I was on a separate AA ticket to DFW/YYZ. Even though different alliances, there was no problem. Since both carriers are Oneworld, should also be hassle free.

I've used the Admirals Club many times at SCL since AC uses it (from the old CP days?) for its premium and elites. I've never been overly impressed by it. Never checked out the LAN lounges, though now not expecting much for my LAN flights next month. I'll be in business, but also have Emerald so can I get into the Neruda lounge vs the other?

15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Business (irregardless of status) gets you in Neruda or Mistral.