First time on CO and concerned about delays into and out of EWR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CdnTraveller, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flights booked on 29Apr as follows:
    "hellhole where I live" to YYZ on AC arriving at 13:38 hrs
    CO3307 YYZ-EWR SCHEDULED to depart 17:40 arrive 19:27
    CO2338 EWE-RIC SCHEDULED to depart 21:41 arrive 22:59

These are award tickets, and was the only routing I could get for the day I needed. When I booked them it all looked good -- lots of time to kill in YYZ but have MLL access, so not a huge problem. Also didn't mind the 2 hrs in EWR since I've never been there, gave me some time to have dinner and look around the airport.

THEN, I started looking at the past history of CO3307 and CO2338. It does not appear that either of these flights actually take off anywhere near the scheduled time. According to FlightStats CO3307 is on time only 42% of the time with an average delay of 84 minutes. CO2338 is only on time 56% of the time with an average 75 min delay. Today already early in the morning they are forecasting nearly a 3 hour delay for CO3307. What's up with that? How can they already know it's going to be a 3 hour delay, especially when they're showing the previous flight for this aircraft today as on time?

My real concern is missing the connection with CO2338 since by the time I might miss the connection, I will already have paid for my hotel room in Richmond for the night. It looks like CO2338 usually goes off late as well, but it would be just my luck that this would be the one time that flight goes out on time.

Observations, advice, or any kind of "what the heck is up with that" explanation?

This is the first time I've ever flown CO - most of my flying has been AC & United.

2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    CdnTraveller likes this.
  3. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that explains that part! Hopefully there won't be any weather issues on the 29th, because they seem to have difficulty keeping those two flights on time without weather!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been that I frequently have good luck about deposits if I call the hotel as soon as I learn that I won't make it and explain that my flight was cancelled or whatever. It's easy enough for the hotel to verify the situation by computer if they care to do so. YMMV but it doesn't hurt to ask nicely and to me it seems courteous to free up the room they're holding for you anyway.

CdnTraveller likes this.
  5. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I'll keep the hotel # handy.

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, EWR can be bad with delays, but one thing to keep in mind is that both of your flights tend to run late. Thus, you are more likely to be safe than just one of the flight having a bad delay record. I've done the connecting deal from YYZ to EWR, and you have a good chance, and if the delay is bad enough and caught early enough, you might be able to sweet talk the agent into transferring you to the AC flight.

CdnTraveller likes this.
  7. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I've been checking them for the past week or so (nothing better to do on a slow nightshift) and it looks like there was only one day out of the past week or so that there wouldn't have been time to make the connection.

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If things get bad enough in New York on the 29th and it looks like you'll misconnect, you might try asking to be re-booked at YYZ onto the 8:12 flight to IAD connecting to UA 6126 to RIC. Now that CO and UA are operating divisions of the same company, they just might do it.

Also, if you're really worried about getting there you might consider looking at the AC flights YYZ-DCA. If you rent a car and drive down from there, you can be in RIC in less than two hours (except in rush hour).

If you want to do it more cheaply than renting a car and can get in earlier in the day, you can catch the Amtrak out of Alexandria (two metro stops from DCA and about five minutes) to Richmond at either 2:45 or 6:07. It's a 2.5 hour train trip, but only costs $26 each way.

9. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    DCA is great, though if the agent is being stubborn, IAD is a possibility. Generally, the goal would be to get to DC, RIC, or even consider RDU since it is the same distance as DC, except you do not have to deal with any remnants of DC traffic.

10. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for all their advice. Just to let you know, the trip went great -- no delays on the way down. Saw the NYC skyline just at dusk coming into EWR, then I saw NJ, but will try to permanently blot that image from my brain. :p Had great weather for the NASCAR race in Richmond, then headed over to Cape Hatteras for Sunday and Monday. Fabulous weather -- seafood on the beach, can't get any better than that!

Flying back out of RIC, I was prepared to opt-out but they appeared to only be using the MMW as a secondary, and neither MrCdnTraveller or I were selected, although we did see some who were. Boarded our plane for 7:36 flight, sat there for a while, then were told by the pilot that there was a mechanical problem with the plane, but fortunately if we looked out the port side windows, we'd see the exact same plane at the next gate, and now we're all going to get off this one and re-board that one. Made our EWR connection tight but not impossible as long as the shuttle bus timing cooperated. Got to gate for the scheduled time for our connection (btw EWR gate C114 is just plain nasty), but the inbound flight was delayed, so we had some sitting around time (did I mention that EWR gate C114 is nasty? :eek:). Got to YYZ in plenty of time for connection there, including a lunch stopover at the lounge. Took off from YYZ on time at 3 o'clock, only to be told by the pilot about 20-25 minutes later that we'd be returning to YYZ due to a hydraulic problem. At 4 o'clock we were back at the gate waiting for ground crew so that we could de-plane. Some on the flight were nervous about the mechanical problem and on landing the FA was very attentive checking individually with those that looked particularly nervous to ask them if they were OK. I guess he was worried about anxiety attacks on the taxi back to the terminal. Again given an alternate plane, and were back in the air at 5. FA didn't make any kind of announcement about it but graciously comp'd the first drink for anyone who happened to order one. Such is the exciting life of flying puddle jumpers....

Ygor likes this.