First time mileage usage for family vacation - United miles - Need help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ayosifon, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ayosifon

ayosifon New Member

Status Points:
    Gentlemen,
    i need some good advice of how to use these miles in the best possible way and save some money...
    i am sure some of you could easily walk me through this complex terrain of United rules.

A bit on my status:
    i rarely use my miles so i am close to 400k now...
    i have gold for years and last two years i am on a 1K, i have 10 GPU and 8 RPU

my intention is to fly my family (2+2) from TLV to BOG through Lufthansa/United with miles but i REALLY want to fly on business on this one, also i want a STOP over in the US if we fly United or Germany if Lufthansa. i heard that it is not possible to use GPU/RPU on award flights... how do i make this work?

i am not that strong with the rules...

thanks and appreciate your replies, i got to book these tickets soon.

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not possible to use GPU or RPU on award tickets... just revenue tickets, and only in pre-determined booking classes (not the cheapest ones)... Business saver award from TLV to BOG one way would be 70k miles per person (economy 45k), and there are flights from FRA to BOG on LH with quite good availability, if you are planning a couple of months ahead... also Avianca flyes to MAD from BOG...

SuperKirby likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If given the choice, I would us Lufthansa over Avianca. I fly Avianca a lot, and they are nothing special. They just happen go to/from where I I fly.

You might find more answers if you post this question on the United Mileage Plus forum. There are more experts and psuedo-experts over there who will certainly give you more options than you could ever imagine - or want! LOL

SuperKirby likes this.