First time in Thailand

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by adrianors, Oct 3, 2018.

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,

I am going on a family vacation to Thailand end of the month, going to visit Bangkok, Krabi and Chiang Mai. For Krabi, I am planning on visiting a couple islands (Ko Hong and Phi Phi) and relaxing in the resort I am staying (5 nights), from there I am flying up to Chiang Mai (2 nights) and was hoping to visit one of the long neck tribes and an elephant camp, but not to ride on elephants, just to see the elephants, feed them maybe? And in Bangkok (2 nights), the plan is to see the floating market and temples. Any tips on what else I should do and/or where to go for both the elephants and floating market? Tips are much appreciated!

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    adrianors and anileze like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two nights are not enough to see much of Bangkok. One day you might be able to cover maybe 2-3 temples maximum. At night you can visit the night markets in the vicinity to where your hotel is (there are many) or go to Asiatique, via a free ferry from Taksin stop.

The floating market is actually rather outside of BKK metropolitan area, and this itself will take nearly a whole day. There are tourist packages available from your hotel that includes petting/feeding captive venues where one can do the tigers or elephants.

I go to Ao Nang to chill at the Holiday Inn, with the choice of chilling at the beach. Not that great a beach.

adrianors and iolaire like this.
  4. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! It's a shame they did not regulate tourism beforehand. Glad they are doing something about it now (even at the cost of me not seeing it on this trip). My decision to go to Krabi instead of Phuket when flying south was exactly to avoid the masses and the trash that massive unregulated tourism ends up creating.

iolaire likes this.
  5. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! I am staying at the Dusit Thani Krabi Beach in Klong Muang Beach as from my research on the internet it seems that the beach is clearer than Ao Nang.

For Bangkok, yes, I wish I could stay more, but there will be other opportunities (I hope), will check out the Asiatique. Planning on visiting the Elephant Sanctuary in Krabi.

anileze likes this.