First time in in F on US Air and hopefully the last...

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by garyst16, Dec 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today is my first trip in F on US Air and I must say that I am not too impressed. I am on US 1433 CLT-LAX on an Airbus 321. They are 4 rows of seats in of and probably shouldn't be more than 3. There is less room between the seats than on a Mad Dog on AA. The woman in front of me reclined her seat into my meal...yes it is that close. And then there is the meal...no, I don't expect much from an airline but with a 9:50am departure and 12:17pm arrival, I would have expected breakfast not lunch. My final issue with US Air in this flight (there could be more since there is 3.5 hours remaining in the flight plan) is the lack of IFE on the flight. This is a 5.5 hour transcon...how could there be no IFE. seriously not looking forward to a US Air/AA merger or takeover....(Edit -- sorry for the title... Should have been "time")

skyvan likes this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would anyone need airline provided IFE? With everything you can put on tablets/handheld devices, why would airlines spend the money? The only IFE I've ever needed is my iPod and a book.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Few would assert that US Air offers a premium forward cabin experience domestically.

4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not everyone has a tablet or an iPod/MP3 player...

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but enough people do so that it wouldn't make financial sense for US to spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars (or millions of dollars) to install IFE.

Lufthansa Flyer and Sean Colahan like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestic US is crap, but that's par for the course. I think the BEST thing you can do for yourself is do domestic F first, THEN international F.

And even then, try one of the US-based carriers first and "step up" to the "real" F experience with the likes of Singapore or LX. Otherwise you're in for such a shock when you try those first then a transcon in F... :)

Lufthansa Flyer, sobore and NYBanker like this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown Singapore LAX to TPE years ago, and more recently BA LAX to LHR. There is a world of difference between any of the international carriers and the domestic crap that you receive flying in the US. However, I usually fly AA domestically and while nothing in comparison to Singapore, they are hands down superior to US Air

sobore likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? All of AA's new planes will have IFE.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We say the same thing, just you are a tiny bit more straightforward. ;)

10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, we're talking about US here. Stick to AA if it's that important to you. :rolleyes: Although, that might leave you back where you started, if the merger ends up happening. Or you could buy an iPod/tablet. They're not that expensive. Or you could read a book. Those are even less expensive.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was telling people that US First is worse than DL coach. US needs to upgrade to thinner seat backs...it can create a lot more space by just getting new seats and keepign same pitch.

12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i've flown both DL and US in first the past few years and the difference is negligible.

i would take US F over DL Coach any day.

And please change your avatar, garyst - it's a little harsh on the eyes

viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't go that far though... :)

F is a little cramped on the 757s they're still using, but the width on the A320 seats is actually pretty decent. And while flying in what's basically a small couch in the sky is not the same as one of the suites or lie-flats, it's certainly better than the back of the bus.

And that's without mentioning the better service and better food -- not outstanding but certainly better than your options out back.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? That's smack in the middle of lunch time IMO, especially since the 12:17pm arrival is really 3:17pm in the departure city. That's very much a lunch situation.

15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1.

AA has served me lunch on flights after 9:30 am on SFO-DFW.

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bulkhead seats are your friend on US and AS, which have snug F cabins.

A savvy traveler should always possess a device with video loaded, especially on a transcon.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a wise choice. The percentage of pax that's using those services is only going to decrease as tablets become more and more prevalent. US used to have IFE and ripped it out a few years ago to save cost (not only maintenance and contents, but also fuel). I've been carrying on my own AVOD IFE system since 2003.

Maybe they could have a few newspapers on board for those who need someone to provide entertainment ;)

18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the world would be a better place if all the airlines got rid of their IFE setups and instead gave everyone (decent) in-flight internet for free.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe talk Kim-Jong-Un into launching some communications satellites on his missiles rockets to increase available capacity and offer competitively priced internet access to airlines. ;)

20. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: Just nope.

Also, I'm a hair under 6'3, and I have no problem with the pitch in US F.

Lufthansa Flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there must be a few different variants of seat styles with US. I know DL has a few different styles and some have more legroom, others less, but I know undeniably that I felt more cramped in US First Class than I do on Southwest.

22. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your opinion about my avatar mrredskin... but then again... yours, like so many others, are just like a$$holes... everyone has one...

23. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose why I feel there's plenty of legroom is because of the way I sit. When I'm in F, I have enough room to stick my legs on either side of my bag under the seat in front of me, and essentially straighten them all the way out. If I were to sit straight up, my knees would probably be fairly close to the seat in front of me, but I like to lean back and stretch my legs, which I've found there's plenty of room to work them under the seat, so I'm comfortable all in all.

viguera likes this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused::confused::confused:

viguera likes this.
  25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    not to mention the thousands of pounds in weight savings....