First-time elite on UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by JimZBrewer, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JimZBrewer

JimZBrewer Active Member

Status Points:
    Got my bottom-level elite on UA yesterday, and the main thing I'm looking for is upgrades or Economy Plus seats. Typically I fly once or twice a month between EWR or LGA and ABQ, which means plane changes at IAD, IAH, DEN, and occasionally ORD.

I know I'm at the bottom of the food chain, and I hope to make gold next year, but right now I'm looking for the best advice to get the upgrade or extra seat pitch with my lowly status. Thanks.

cennas and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For getting better seats like exit rows and bulkheads, I recommend you start looking at the seat map each day from within 4 days of your flight. Upgrades start getting processed 100 hours out. And, as the top tier fliers got upgraded, they often leave exit row seats open. If you periodically chat the seat map, you may be able to snag one of these as they open up.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with what DAS has stated above. Keep in mind that once the 2012 program kicks in, you will not be able to select the E+ seats until you check in for your flight. Thus when the new program kicks in, plan on checking in exactly 24 hrs in advance (like you would for Southwest) and pray an E+ seat is available.

jetsetr and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats !

E+ is the best thing about UA for sure. Enjoy.

5. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much will depend on when you fly, I think im 5 of 12 this year on UDU flights.

6. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but as per an earlier poster, in 2012, Premier Silvers will only get to choose E+ starting 24-hours before flight. So act quickly when your window of opportunity opens up!

And congrats to the OP for making UA elite for the first time! Welcome!

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Up until some time in March, you'll get E+ at booking, so take advantage. As others have said, the upgrade windows start 100 hours out, so start checking seat maps 3-4 days before your flight to see what opens up. I've often moved from an E- middle to a decent E+ seat by doing this. Once the new program starts, definitely check in as close to 24 hours prior to your flight as possible. Also, you can keep checking the seat maps even after you check in to see if better E+ seats open up as people continue to get upgraded or change seat assignments.

Depending on the equipment, UDU from ABQ may happen. Unless you're flying at an off hour or somehow get lucky, I wouldn't count on UDU out of any of the hubs (EWR, IAH, DEN, IAD) or LGA. As a Premier Exec on UA, I very rarely was upgraded out of LGA.

P.S. WELCOME TO MILEPOINT! :cool:

8. JimZBrewer

JimZBrewer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everybody, for the good advice. I'm hoping to enjoy the ride.

9. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP JimZBrewer and congrats on your new status!

lwkatya likes this.
  10. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats & welcome!!

11. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello! Now, you know, the next goal is mid-tier elite!:p Especially among this crowd! (And, with E+ going away for Premier you're going to notice the difference as Premier Exec. Those upgrades on hub-hub routes are still elusive, but in IRROPS (delays, mechanicals, etc.) you'll notice the difference pretty quickly).