First Time Booked a Hyatt Suite-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mrx900, Apr 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Taking a lil mini-vacation in mid April, and I have my in-laws with me as well. I was looking for a decent place to stay, and Kalboz the Great told me about the Hyatt Regency Orange County!

The property looks great, and its close to the beach and other SoCal sightseeing ; I figured it would be better for all of us to stay in one room, and so they are having a Suite Sale...so I booked a 2 bdrm suite for $630 total for two nights. I am platinum, so not sure which kind of amenities I will get, if any.
    Any thoughts from members who have experienced something similar? Suggestions?

Tenmoc, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz the Great, seriously? :D

I am assuming that you are paying $315/night including taxes but that is still a huge amount even though you are now guaranteed the 2-bedroom suite.

I'd book the cheapest rate (AAA comes to mind) and use 6K HGP points to get an upgrade for the whole stay. At check in, I'd push (sheepishly) for the 2-bedroom kids' suite. The money saved could be used on breakfast and other expenses, such as Disneyland! :) YMMV as the kids suite is not guaranteed using this method.

Why this is here and not in the Hyatt branch where you can get more exposure to varied Hyatt expert opinions?

3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have AAA......do you need to show your AAA card to get the rate?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought using Hyatt points to confirm an upgrade required either the Hyatt Daily Rate or rack rate, not AAA, AARP or government rates. Those con be used with Diamond suite upgrade certs.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, at many properties. Booking an AAA rate when you're not an AAA member is cheating and should be punished severely.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yea, like waterboarding! :D Thank you, you made my day :D

8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Edited to add: here's an earlier thread on this property.

In any case: I wasted a suite upgrade here once. Never again. While the family suite (with bunk beds) might be handy if you were travelling with kids rather than in-laws, the normal "suite" is a room of only normal or slightly-larger-than-normal size with a glass wall partitioning the 'bedroom' from the rest of the room, which resulted in an awkward layout and not much more usable space. There was an electric shade for that wall. I think many of the suites face into the atrium rather than to the outside.

The property is relatively close to Disney. They charge for both their Disney shuttle ($4/person/day, as of 2012) and parking. The restaurant was very pricey. To be fair, this is a perfectly fine property, and their service was quite solid. But $315/night is silly for that area.

If you're planning to go to the beach and not Disney, I'm not entirely sure why you'd pick the Anaheim area, nevermind this hotel. If you do want to stay in the Anaheim area, I would strongly consider priceline: you would need to book two rooms rather than just one (they don't guarantee bed types and only guarantee space for two people), but I suspect you'll get more value. I've paid $46 for the Hilton Anaheim (warning: it is huge - nearly 1600 rooms, making it one of the 100 largest hotels anywhere), and under $60 for the Marriott Suites (across the street from the Hyatt). The Hyatt is arguably better than both of those, but one could also argue that the differences are pretty minor. I consider all of them "decent" or better. You can always ask the hotels for nearby or adjoining rooms, even if booking on p-l.

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    thesterlingtraveler likes this.
  10. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im wondering now if I should try to use priceline to book two rooms near the beach instead. I originally wanted to stay at the Hyatt in Huntington Beach, but there wasn't any availability. My goal is to go to Hollywood, do the Mulholland Dr, and see Beverly Hills. Anaheim might be too far from all that.

Kalboz and thesterlingtraveler like this.
  11. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should also check out the Hyatt Newport Beach. Not as nice as the Huntington Beach property but still a resort style property, and relatively close to the beach. They do have a shuttle to take you places.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems all these Hyatts charge for parking....I even looked at the Century City Hyatt, and the parking was outrageous! However, it was close to everything i.e the beach, Graumans, Bev. Hills, etc...

Kalboz likes this.