First TATL Trip under the UA Revenue System - Random Observations and Implications

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Feb 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I booked a trip to attend a conference next month in BUD. After trying to get United.com to automatically find me a 'good' LGA to BUD itinerary and it kept trying to route me through Canada on AC and then intra-Europe on LH, I decided to piece the segments together by hand because (a) I am after 1MM status and still want most of my flights to be on UA and (b) I wanted everything on 016 ticket stock so that I would earn PQDs on the entire airfare (base + YQ). In the end I selected this itinerary:

Outbound
    LGA-IAD-FRA on UA
    FRA-BUD on LH

Inbound
    BUD-FRA on LH
    FRA-IAD-LGA

The Table below shows the itinerary by segment and associated fare class and RDMs, and how many RDMs various schemes would earn me:

BUD-TRIP-RDM-EARNINGS.png

Observations:
    • Because my RT ticket was on 016 stock, I would earn the RDMs under the R-B.S. as a 1K as shown in the last column: 13,739.
    • Note (next to last column) that the segments on LH were booked in fare classes that would have earned me 75% (V) and 50% (S) RDM if the tickets for those segments had been on non-016 stock. This confirmed what I had surmised when partner earning charts were recently revealed: the point was to make it better to do the booking on united.com and be issued 016 stock tickets. I would have earned less RDMs if the LH tickets had been on non-016 stock. Another implication is that it is not straightforward to calculate the miles I would have earned under that mixed ticket scenario since miles for the LH flights would have been based on distance traveled (as % based on fare class), whereas the miles on UA would have been based on ticket cost * 11/$.
    • As expected, I took a big hit in RDM earned compared to what I would have earned under the legacy FF system -- 20,404 vs. 13,793 or around 68**% of legacy FF system.
    ** Error in this number pointed out below and now corrected.
    Bottom line:
    We are screwed as expected, but things would be even worse if one does not pay attention when traveling on mixed carriers...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your math is wrong ( self inconsistent).

You earned about 68% of what you would have, or 32% less if you prefer.

Under the legacy system, assuming the rest of your math correct (risky?) You'd earn 48% MORE.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh? I'm not seeing your point here.

The op misrepresented his math. That's the start and end of it.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an earlier version I had written that I earned about one-third less, which you just confirmed. Then I wanted to express it as a percentage of the legacy FF (=100%) and mistyped 48% rather than 68%, which is correct...(13K * 2 is more than 20K meaning that just eye-balling it the (% of) was more than 50).

May this be the correction for the error in that post;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Newscience and 8MiHi like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    My comment refers to the consistency of lines 2 & 3 of your post -- and they are!
    In the OP, I see switched digits: 13,739 and 13,793, but no reason to doubt the rest.

Newscience likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another dyslexic inversion...:)

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP most assuredly did not earn 48% of what he would have in the legacy system. He earned around 68%, pending other errors and omissions of course. That's a big difference. It appears the OP calculated and presented the wrong number, thus the comment on the math being wrong.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to beat up on the guy. The error has already been acknowledged, and anyone who saw the original post, right after I posted it, would have seen my statement that I had earned a third less miles than under legacy FF. There is nothing here to prove...

Just corrected the error in the OP to avoid continued wrangling...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    ContinentalFan and Newscience like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely agree! Your original (and follow-on) posts are appreciated - and provide useful information. Thanks for your posts!

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I understand that you earlier referred to the numbers that are no longer in the OP. Since the original reference is missing, and subsequent debate now irrelevant, I'll delete it.

Newscience and NYCUA1K like this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great analysis NYCUA1K. It is becoming so clear how one can now generate more miles via credit card spending than actually getting on a DL or UA plane. What perplexes me is that airlines need to seIl tickets and fill seats, hence the incentives of a loyalty program. And the part about RBS rewarding the best and high paying customers is absolute rubbish; otherwise, the DL-UA would not cap the maximum miles earned from the purchase of a ticket at 75,000 miles.

I have also been trying to determine whether Premiers will still be awarded a minimum of 500 PQM for an intra Europe segment on LH, such as FRA-TXL, or FRA-MUC?

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!
    I believe that the rules governing PQM and PQD earning have not changed at all. I thought that your suggestion of basing elite qualification only on PQD to reflect the new focus on revenue was a great one. Why base elite qualification on distance traveled when this is no longer the unit of measure?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    ContinentalFan and Newscience like this.
  13. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about the Status RDM Bonus as a 1K? In the old system that would be 100% (which is now eliminated I beleive) Thanks and Safe Travels

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The status bonus RDMs have been incorporated into the 11 RDM/$ that 1K elites get under the revenue system. In figuring out the total RDM under the legacy system in the table above, I took into account the 100% 1K bonus and the 500-mile minimum for elites. Now both have been made irrelevant...

Newscience likes this.