First stay at IHG-Indigo...expectations?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Ed Ip, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have a bunch of upcoming stays at a Hotel Indigo. I've status matched to IHG Platinum in preparation for those stays.

Aside from extra points and possible upgrade, what else can I reasonably expect or ask for? Free breakfast, internet?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can post the locations you will be staying at, you can get a better idea. There is not necessarily consistency of benefits across all locations.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel Indigo Sarasota. Thanks!

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Free breakfast is NOT a guaranteed IHG benefit, not even as PLT, but some properties go above and beyond of what the program says a hotel has to deliver.

5. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes. So....what exactly is PLT good for then? :confused:

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
    [​IMG]
    • Points never expire
    • 50% Bonus Earnings on top of Base Points
    • Extended Check-Out
    • Exclusive Toll-Free Service Line
    • Priority Check In™
    • No Blackout Dates for Reward Nights
    • Complimentary Weekday Newspaper
    • Complimentary Room Upgrades
    • Guaranteed Room Availability
    BENEFITS AT EVERY LEVEL
    • Redeem points for a Reward Night at any of our 4,500 hotels worldwide
    • Redeem points for great brand-name merchandise you know and love
    • Combine points with a small cash payment to get rewards faster with Points & Cash
    • Earn points at any of our more than 4,500 hotels and resorts worldwide
    • Earn points when you travel, dine, or shop at over 500 online retailers with our partners
    • Exclusive member offers & promotions

7. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:

I knew that from the website but doesn't sound like much when traveling for business. Oh well, I don't really have a choice with my upcoming trips so I guess I will figure it out when I get there.

Thanks anyway.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As some have reported, more than one IHG property goes above and beyond for their guests, it really depends on the property here in this case. Make sure to report back your experiences after your stay.

In my case at some IHG properties we received great upgrades, but never free breakfast, but the free newspaper and bottled water was usually given.

9. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with the hotel....no free breakfast but they are going to put in on the Executive Club Level floor. Is that similar to a lounge at other FS Marriott/Hilton/etc?

sobore likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should be able to get a few free consumables. :) You may also end up with a nicer view.

uggboy likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But wouldn't you be able to expense your internet/breakfast? (and yes, if it's your own business, not quite the same)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this case, I have a per-diem and I would rather drink it than eat it. :D

14. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    The only Indigo I have stayed at is a new one in Waco, TX where my company is located. I stay about five nights a month. I can designate the room (number) I want on the ground floor. When the owner sees me I get a drink comped at the bar. The shuttle takes and picks me up to/from local restaurants.

I do have my field managers there for meetings four times a year that generates about 30 nights per meeting.

Ktremor and uggboy like this.
  15. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property last May for my sister's graduation and was very impressed with this property.

I am staying at my first international Indigo in July as I am staying at the Indigo Barcelona which is opening soon.

With Plat status, the only things you can expect are whats on the site. Anything above and beyond that is up to the individual property management. I usually take my 50% bonus and thats it.

I was suprised the other week at the HI Toms River where they offer free breakfast buffet for gold and plats.

16. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I stayed there on Martin Luther King weekend. Absolutely fantastic hotel, great location. Staff was great, rooms clean and spacious. However, there is no free breakfast and I have status like you and received a bottle of iced tea and a chocolate. Food is very expensive but the bar was cozy. If you are there on a Sunday local jazz players come in and jam in the afternoon. We are going back in March and I could not get a room on points so I passed. They just became number one on tripadvisor and I think that is why.

17. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    Almost forgot to report back. The stay was enjoyable and the property is fairly new inside and out. Highlight is definitely the staff as some of you have already mentioned. Almost like they go out of their way to be friendly. Decent size room, bed on the firm side but not uncomfortable. Nice shower "room" and can't go wrong with Aveda products. I think a mini-fridge would really round out the in-room amenities.

When I made the reservation, the person at the front desk said there is a lounge/exec floor but in fact there isn't one. Disappointed but not end of the world. Received no recognition or additional benefit for being a platinum member.

weevinweaver likes this.
  18. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its is very disappointing that IHG doesn't make their rewards program more beneficial. Normally when I travel I can stay at a Hilton or IHG property and I am going to stay at Hilton's more often.

daninstl likes this.
  19. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to IHG! I half kid I half kid. So far the only hotel that's ever really recognized my status was the Holiday Inn Express in Utica, Michigan, where the desk lady swore up and down I was a regular (I'm not to that location.). I've always assumed this is because of how easy it is to become a plat *cough* credit card *cough* that they see it all the time. I think they need more levels and to fold in Ambassador.

daninstl likes this.
  20. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more. This property, for example, is on par if not better than some of the Hilton Garden Inn I've stayed at but even Gold get a free breakfast at HGI. Not really asking for much, just want a little something to help stretch my dollar.
    I would be happy to pay $200/yr for Ambassador if/when they are treated like a top tier through all IHG brands and that I plan to stay at IHG properties a lot in a given year. But I can't imagine they can give out any real benefits outside of IC if you can buy status for only $200/yr.

macbookguy likes this.
  21. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay about 150 nights at holiday inn properties. Is it worth buying the ambassador. I only stay at intercontinental s on reward nights.

daninstl likes this.
  22. Not if you only stay at HI's. In fact ambassador is pretty much useless at ay other part of the chain other than IC's

daninstl likes this.
  23. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like some properties I stay at notice the amount of points in my account in addition to my platinum and ambassador status. Never much but some properties are trying with free check in snacks, etc.

24. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback

25. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indigo is great boutique hotel. With mini bar, nice amenities better than holiday inn express. No breakfast.

sobore likes this.