First SFO-ORD flight moves to 0925....good competitive move?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Aug 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has AA decided to no longer compete in the early morning market? This morning I received notice that my 0615 SFO-ORD in January was moved to the 0925. That wasn't going to work so I rerouted via DFW instead to WAS, departing a few minutes later and arriving an hour later. That 0925 SFO-ORD flight is now the first Chicago flight of the day.

For comparison, UA has flights at 0600, 0700, 0815 and 0905.

Virgin America has a flight at 0725.

If you want to arrive or transit ORD before roughly 1530, AA is just not going to work for you. Just can't make sense out of this move.

zpaul and MSYgirl like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't think there's really a question about whether AA has ceded the ORD-SFO route to UA. It's a hub to hub route for UA while it's simply a hub to city route for AA. It's a bit like lamenting UA's poor schedule on ORD-DFW. They're just not going to compete with AA.

That being said, I can't think of many major routes served out of ORD that SFO customers couldn't access with AA's better connections out of SFO like JFK/DFW/LAX.

zpaul likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least UA runs a schedule on ORD-DFW which is viable for a business traveler, with 6x daily running from ~6am to ~9pm. Sure, AA runs more, but at least UA is trying. With the 9:25am flight that's basically only for feeding TATL I'd assume. It is really not so useful for business travelers.

zpaul and Aktchi like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

My comment wasn't to say UA's ORD-DFW schedule is just as bad. I simply said it's similar, and anyone who has been watching AA's activity in SFO shouldn't be surprised that they're moving away from providing more than bare bones service to many markets.

So we're pretty much saying the same thing - no, it's not useful, but it's also not surprising.

zpaul likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you walk over to the G pier, though, you have all those Eagle flights to places like Grand Rapids, Indianapolis and Omaha. With AA not having the feed into ORD, they're writing off quite a few states that would use ORD as a gateway. I can't see that routing via LAX or DFW makes it any easier to get to those and may actually dissuade business travelers at SFO from flying AA at all.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

I'm guessing AA isn't worried much about the lost revenue on SFO-ORD-IND (and the similar) routings when compared to the cost of maintaining the extra SFO-ORD to provide it. They're focusing on routings like SFO-ORD-LHR/PEK/etc which is likely easier for them to squeeze profit out of.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps trying to make it seem like I'm arguing AA is totally "in it to win it" in the SFO market. Yes, they're not competing well. I'm just saying this isn't a surprise to anyone who's been watching them in the Bay area over the last few years.

zpaul likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Almost. ;)

AA is clearly running away from the SFO market. That's their prerogative, to be sure. I just don't think that UA is quite as aggressively abandoning larger business markets, even where one end is not their hub.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

That's typical AA though. Not surprising that they're running, hence me saying anyone who's been watching shouldn't be surprised. Writing's been on the wall for awhile there. :)

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    In face of competition, AA's instinct appears to be to first run a few specials and then withdraw from that market. I am grateful for the TEQM and SFO/LAX fares though. :)

zpaul likes this.
  10. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this is a temporary reduction; January is a slow travel month. That 615am SFO-ORD flight returns in February. But who knows, the reduction may become permanent - we'll see.

zpaul and DestinationDavid like this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

AA is having quite a few service reductions (and a few increases) for the winter schedule. It's not uncommon at all. Doesn't change that SFO isn't a priority for AA at the moment though. :)

zpaul likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    a shame because i <3 AA T2 @ SFO

austin_res, zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  13. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I, too. My favorite domestic terminal. Great museum section, restaurants and Admirals Club. Very sad to be shifting my business to UA. :(

Will be starting my status match soon.

austin_res, zpaul and edekba like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't get too attached to T2. Unless something has changed with the SFO renovation plan, AA's move to T2 is only temporary. Once T1 is up to speed, AA was to move there.

15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? Are they also fixing up T1?

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Agreed. That Napa Farms store has some of the best cook-to-order food in any airport, and their deli selection is superb.

flyforawg and edekba like this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup. You can Google "SFO Renovation" and see quite a few stories about the plans. T1, T3 improvements, a new hotel, etc...

18. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    DestinationDavid, this makes me feel a lot better. Compared to T2, both T1 & T3 are $h!teholes. The only thing decent in T1 is the extremely small Alaska Board Room. Any word on when this might happen? Probably a topic for another thread. Apologies for the thread drift.

Will try to tie it back up and say that I hope they can consolidate their operations in such a way as to go it alone and keep the great aadvantage program in place or make it even better.

19. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would AA build an Admirals club (which is amazing IMO) in T2 if they were going to be there temporarily?

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Because the cost of building it out was less than the revenue projected to be lost if they weren't considered business-traveler-ready or willing to hold on to their elites in a market where others have clubs?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course, plus it'll be a few years before they can move again. Then again, being "business-traveler-ready" means having a schedule which support business travelers, right? And that's how this thread got started. ;)

basiface, flyforawg and Mike Reed like this.
  22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now all the hookers, pimps and dealers flying from SFO to ORD can sleep a little later. :)

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a long plan, not happening any time in the next year or two. Or three even. :)

24. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perfect. Thanks for the reply. I don't use google much. I'm anti-NSA. The scraping tool I use didn't bring up anything in the first three pages other than the renovation that was done at T2.

I'll be able to enjoy it for a while then as I devolve from an EXP down to whatever I land at next year (PLT if soft land really doesn't go away, or GLD more likley based on the reduced miles).

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering AA confirmed soft landings are dead, I'm thinking you're looking at GLD. :eek:

flyforawg likes this.