First series of attempts at a 3X, almost made it

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by sharris503, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am starting to dive into the fun world of FDs. And I have been playing around with fares from the city of angles to sushi. Base fare on the R/T on an airline in bankruptcy is $176 and and $194. YQ is $592. I manage to find a 3X that reduces YQ to $287. The 3X is for a flight from Vodka to Pilsner, unfortunately the base fare is $234, so not much of an overall savings. But it is still fun to see it work.

Update:
    Sweet, Looks like I got it to go about as low as I can get. R/T to sushi is $824 a/i. That is a savings of about $225. Not great but a good first effort. Now if only I knew the reasoning for why the FD worked as opposed to trial and error/dumb luck. Base fare on the 3X was $78 and YQ dropped to $287.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    What search engine(s) would you use to try this on?

3. FrenchFry

FrenchFry Silver Member

Status Points:
    You want to get AA reduction at 100 % . This forum and trial and error is not a good way to go about it.

4. FrenchFry

FrenchFry Silver Member

Status Points:

5. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did out of PDX.

6. firechick

firechick Active Member

Status Points:
    This is cool, I am a newbie at FD (Unfortunately, came into the game late so no FAQ tips). I was able to get the similar reduction in YQ. If you are flexible, there are much lower base fares in Oct for $76 but the 3x base is still $$.

7. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice, I found that R/T base fare for $76 each way. I found a better 3X in C3 that brings the a/i price to $526. I really wish I could figure out the why of how this works. Although, my guess is that the why might be more complicated than I care to know. At this point I know how to construct a 3X but my attempts at finding effective 3Xs is more educated guess work than anything else. It is not very efficient.

phuucnguyen likes this.
  8. Majikow

Majikow Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was helpful. I messed around trying to find some 3X's with very little luck, but at least I was able to quickly see one that worked.

Though when you said Vodka... I thought of a few places that could be, but I think I picked the right one.

9. Andyc24_uk

Andyc24_uk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice - Thanks for sharing! Figured both your original 3X and the $78 version out eventually, as well as one for $89 from the same airport to the host city of the Euro 2012 final. All appear to have the same effect on the candidate fare. Wouldn't surprise me if there were more in the same region which do the same thing as well.

Has anyone had any success using any of these on other routes/carriers than the Angels-Sushi above? I've tried them between Microsoft HQ and the Olympic host, Microsoft and the Tallest Tower, and Olympics - Tallest Tower; without success :-(

(Apologies for the codes - If they're unnecessary or too much I'll happily change them!)

10. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've tried a handful of eastern C2 3x's and have not found much success for C1-C2 fares.

11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since mile point is more user friendly than it's competitor, please define:
    1. FD
    2. 3X
    3. YQ

Although a/i==all inclusive it's difficult to ascertain what you accomplished other than a cheap fare.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carrier combinations, direction of travel, specific city pairs. There can be a lot of factors. Some matter more than others, some are more plastic.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    FD = fuel dump; trying to remove the fuel surcharge from the total fare
    3X = third strike; a third segment that is not flown and achieves FD
    YQ = fuel surcharge; an IATA code used to indicate the fuel surcharge imposed by some airlines on some flights

cooltraveler and alohastephen like this.
  14. mdtroyer

mdtroyer Member

Status Points:
    Currently seeing City of angels to Sushi in Sept on Airline in Bankruptcy with base fare of $94 either way. YQ sitting at $592, leading to $869/ai. Run from Vodka to Pilsner brings YQ to $275 with base fare of $83. $635 ai. Happy with these results for my first FD.Call it noob luck.

15. Andyc24_uk

Andyc24_uk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing $76 out and $94 back in September for that route, and there are 3Xs out there which will cut off more fat too... Great start, but keep looking!