First post! CC question: application frequency

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mattapter, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mattapter

mattapter Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys! New to the community and very excited to be a part of it!

So, my question:

How frequently can you apply for CCs? Got my Barclaycard World Arrival in August, but looking to take advantage of other offers ASAP. Is there a suggested (or compulsory) waiting period? Also, does applying to different CCs (Visa vs MC, Citi vs Chase, etc) have any bearing on the application process/waiting time?

Also, as good as the Chase Sapphire seems to be, would that be a little redundant for me, already holding the BarclayCard?

Thanks a lot everyone!
    Matt

Garp74, dstober, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Matt, and welcome. There are very in depth strategies at play, but basically, i believe a 6-9 waiting period between App O Rama's is recommended to let your credit score recover. Among users, Chase UR cards are very highly regarded, so I do not believe it would be redundant to apply for it as well. Im sure others will be able to provide much more in depth detail though.

Garp74, dstober, bluefire and 3 others like this.
  3. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    the card is only redundent if you are looking at your day to day spend, many of us here are getting these cards mostly for the signup bonuses not as much for the day to day spend, also the chase sapphire preferred has many transfer partners that can be leveraged for greater savings, one example is california-hawaii flights on american airlines, you can transfer 25k chase UR points to british air and then book a roundtrip cali-hawaii on american using british miles.
    if you are considering the chase sapphire preferred, i would be happy to send you a referal email for the card, you would get the same 40k offer and they offer me 5k points for each successful referal, just send a private message with name and email address

4. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome, Matt! I'm also pretty new and have been doing quite a bit of research on the various CC options. I was just approved for the Chase Ink Bold and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'm getting 50K UR points with the Bold (along with the great rates on spend) and 40K UR points for the Sapphire Preferred. So I'd agree with particlemn that the signup bonuses alone make it worthwhile.
    What are your goal(s) with CC? Particular points, particular types of travel? That would probably drive which card you use for daily spend.

Garp74, mattapter and tondoleo like this.
  5. mattapter

mattapter Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses so far!

I asked about the CSP simply because people laud it so much. My next CC will likely be the SPG Amex as I love their properties and already have some starpoints in the bank.

That being said, if I'm approved, how long should I wait to apply for a) another CC? b) another AMEX?

As far as goals go, I'm pretty wide open. I travel a fair amount domestically, so I enjoy not paying for flights and hotel stays ;) But I also want to get abroad for fun, so saving as much as possible on those trips is enticing.

Garp74 and tondoleo like this.
  6. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    the time between applications can very based on your lenght of credit history/score. i have been applying every 90 days for a few cards at a time, but will breka the cycle and apply for a one off card if a great bonus comes along in the middle of my application cycle. i have found some banks like us bank do not like any applications for credit within the previous 90 days, other like citi dont seem to care, and amex seems ot base for me on my prevous relationship with them and does not really care about what i get elsewhere,
    and welcome to MP

mattapter and tondoleo like this.
  7. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you have some pretty clear goals. Enjoy! One of the best places I've read stuff on app-o-rama's is http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/2013-september-app-o-rama-candidates/ Be sure to take a look at some of the embedded links he has. I use the Credit Sesame site to check my credit score for negative impact in planning applications.
    Best of success as you plan your CC rewards plans!

mattapter, vickers and tondoleo like this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    General advice seems to be to wait at least 90 days. Assuming your credit score can sustain the applications.

As far as the individual card rules, that of course varies. Amex has lots of "if you've had one of these other cards in the last 90 days or in the last 12 months" rules for different cards. With many cards these are spelled out in the terms & conditions which you should probably make a point of reading. Just go to the application page a click around. You don't have to apply to do this.

Garp74 and mattapter like this.
  9. mattapter

mattapter Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again guys!
    Another question: can I apply for the personal AND business version of a CC at the same time? Ex: Can I apply for the SPG Amex Personal and SPG AMEX Business on the same day, for double the bonus?

Garp74 likes this.
  10. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that can vary by CC company. I had no trouble getting the Chase Ink Bold (Business) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred (Personal). Haven't tried that with the SPG AMEX. If you do, let us know what happens!

Garp74 likes this.