First Official Mileage (Segment) Run Booked

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by webdes03, Jul 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With my current planned travel I'll find myself about 15 segments short of Gold, so I've been on the hunt for some affordable segment runs to shore up my status.

With some ITA and Hipmunk help I was able to come up with this:

RDU-IAH-BNA-ORD-STL (8/31)
    STL-IAD-PIT-IAD-RDU (9/1)

With the 500 mile minimums, I'm coming in at 6,485 miles and 8 segments at just about 5.5CPM.

The CPM is a tad higher than most would like, but since I'm looking for segments more than anything, I don't mind paying a slightly higher CPM.

mo26 and Travelsavant like this.
  2. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you are flying out 8/31 & returning a month later? I'll assume a typo, as not actually a MR otherwise. What was the AI ticket price?

mo26 likes this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Oh, oops... should say 8/31-9/1.

All in at $360.70.

mo26, AnthonyB1609 and Travelsavant like this.
  4. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news is you are 7 segments closer to gold! :) I know you are collecting segs, but how did you calculate miles/value? I came up with actual = 3,650 @.099, base =4895 @.074 & if currently gold, 50% bonus = 7343 @.049; or if currently silver 25% bonus = 6118 @.059. Did I miss something?

mo26 likes this.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I added the IAH-BNA segment wrong (added the first destination subtotal, not the actual segment mileage), but I also left out the current Silver bonus... Is the bonus calculated on actual mileage or the 500 mile minimum?

Should be:

RDU-IAH - 1,043
    IAH-BNA - 657
    BNA-ORD - 409 (500 Mile Min)
    ORD-STL - 258 (500 Mile Min)
    STL-IAD - 696
    IAD-PIT - 183 (500 Mile Min)
    PIT-IAD - 183 (500 Mile Min)
    IAD-RDU - 224 (500 Mile Min)

Total: 4,896 Base @ 7.3CPM
    W/ Bonus: 6,120 @ 5.8CPM

The PIT segment will be interesting to see if I get credit for 2 segments or just 1. It "should" be two, and I'm in a different fare class going into PIT than I am coming out, but the flight number is the same so I have a sneaky feeling UA will collapse it into 1, which I didn't realize until after I booked it.

I can change it for $5 (since I'm within 24 hours)... and sit in PIT for 5 hours to guarantee a different flight number and 2 segments... though that doesn't get me back home until 11PM and I've had pretty horrible luck with those last IAD-RDU flights of the night be very delayed or cancelled...

6. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Elite bonus is on Base, not actual, so that is good for Segment running. Same flight # means you might get screwed out of PIT as double hit but with UA, one never knows! If you haven't used Wandering Aramean's "Trip Calculator" you might want to start as it makes calculating MR's real easy! http://wandr.me/Tools/Trip_Calculator.aspx

mo26 likes this.
  7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

If I put in the full routing on his tool (RDU-IAH-BNA-ORD-STL-IAD-PIT-IAD-RDU) it tells me RDU isn't a valid airport code...

mo26, boggio1 and Travelsavant like this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea to attain the status before the minimum spend requirement on UA sets in on January 1, 2014.

9. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

LOL. Everyone keeps saying that. Minimum spend doesn't bother me, in fact I welcome it. I've already spent almost Platinum PQD money for my current silver status. I know others very much disagree, but those PQD numbers for silver and gold seem very fair to me. I've never gotten close to PQM or PQS qualification for Platinum or 1K, so I won't speak to those.

It blows my mind to know there's Platinum and 1K's out there that get to the status on less than $5,000, though I know it happens. I buy so many last minute tickets for work, that PQD isn't something I'm even remotely concerned with.

mo26, boggio1 and Travelsavant like this.
  10. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I'm no longer on a corp/biz budget & paying my own way, definitely more aware of costs. Giving up status was not a consideration, thus now I research more, spend less but still usually fly up front! And yes, I am one of those! I find it challenging to get the maximum value for every dollar & in truth, feel somewhat guilty whenever I pay more than $.050 a mile. Of course, my travel has decreased a bit, so for 2014, unless there is a DEQM soon, I will only qualify as ExP with AA & Gold with UA...sigh!:(

BTW, when using "Trip Calculator" be sure to use CAPS for airports; it doesn't always make a difference if you use lower case, but every now & then I get an error msg, especially if it's the first or last airport code in long sequence. If that doesn't work ask Wandering Aramean directly; he's very friendly & he developed it.:)

11. boggio1

boggio1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Forgot about that calculator. Thanks for posting.

Travelsavant and mo26 like this.