First Missed Upgrade of Year for DL Diamond

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jparker, Sep 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It had to happen eventually, I guess. After 100% first class upgrade success all year long due to my Delta Diamond status, I finally had to sit in the back this week on a PHL to DTW flight. Maybe it was the end of a major convention in Philly that caused it but hard to complain after the run I've had this year. Even when I have made last minute changes or used same-day confirm benefits to take an earlier flight, I've always cleared. On most flights, I've actually cleared several days in advance and haven't even had to concern myself with the upgrade list.
    This is despite the fact that I buy the lowest fare class tickets I can. I do have the Delta Reserve American Express Card that gives me a little advantage on the upgrade list when compared to flyers of equal status and on the same fare class. Of course, there have also been some RJ flights this year that did not have a first class section and Delta does not upgrade on international flights (although I did get bumped twice on international flights earlier this year due to oversold situations in coach). And, on those other international flights, I've been in "Economy Comfort" for no charge.

When I look at blog and message postings from other airline programs' elite members, I feel pretty good about my success rate. Everyone loves to criticize Delta, but they have treated me great this year and I look forward to sitting in first class, hopefully, and starting a new streak when I fly next week.

rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to agree. I've had similar experience as a PM this year, although not at 100$.

Concerto likes this.
  3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at only 1 missed UG as a PM in 2012. Appreciate Delta - they really do a great for me almost all the time.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The $100 trick isn't working for you? :)

5. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've almost missed one.. DTW - LAX (#4 with 1 seat available), then I IROP'd and ended up in F

rwoman and traveller99 like this.
  6. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missed on the SEA - DTW on Monday. First time miss since we became DM this year.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just made it on MEM-AUS, 2 of 2 for 2 seats. I'm AS MVP Gold, so not even an FO missed an upgrade on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the start of last year, I missed two out of my first three segments, but haven't missed one since (going 16/18 last year and 14/14 this year). Did start of the year with 2 missed on AS but I expected that. Family issues (and DL's 11th Commandment -- "Thou shall route thru ATL") means many LAX-ATL segments which seems to be all gate upgrades these days (like LAX-JFK). These are all on LUT fares, except the occasional K on LAX-ATL (where SWU is used)