First Mileage Redemption - ORD -> BKK (Guidance for Newbie)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Traveling Momma, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI all -

I started the game of miles and point collecting on Feb 6th/2013 and religiously read every blog, blog post and most posts on Milepoint for the next 30 days while meeting my minimum spends. As a result of the help and guidance of many of you, I made my first redemption through Scott Grimmer's (Milevalue) Booking Service; we're headed to Bangkok in March of 2014 on AA business class, 3 people! We added a fee one way to Salt Lake City for Nov. 2013 to ski, where I'll use points on SW and my CP pass that Darius of MMS helped me secure, to book our tickets to Salt Lake City. I could not have done this without all of you.

I want to say a special thank you to the following people for sharing their knowledge and taking the time to blog and post here on MP and other sites:

• Milevalue - Scott, Bengali, Rookie Ali
    • MillionMileSecrets - Darius & Emily
    • Gary Leff
    • Noobtraveler
    • Lucky
    • Mommy Points
    • Travel Bear
    • Wandering Armenian
    • Iolaire
    • Edeka
    • Stephen Schwartz
    • Goodboy
    • HaveMilesWillTravel
    • and the list goes on.........
    My first churn is coming up on May 17th and I've done a credit card consultation with Scott (Milevalue) to get guidance on my strategy for our next redemption.

My goal now is to do exactly what you did so freely with me - pass my knowledge on to the next "new" person looking for awesome travel experiences.

Thank you to each and every one of you. Your guidance continues to be very helpful.

Since we're traveling business class on AA to Shanghai and Cathay to Hong Kong, I'm assuming we can use the AA business class lounge at ORD and the CX business lounges at Shanghai and Hong Kong. If this assumption is correct, can anyone tell me which one has showers and the best overall luxury experience?

Blue

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm not OW elite just flying on a business class ticket. In ORD I believe I'm only able to use the Admirals Club as I'm on AA metal. Once in Shanghai and Hong Kong though I'm CX business class so I believe we can access the CX clubs there.

Thanks for the link to CX lounges. I should have just done a Google search for this myself ::oops:

edekba likes this.
  4. DrJack

DrJack Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey Mate,

Great redemption, you're gonna love it. I just came back from ORD-HKG-BKK myself last month of CX. I love, love, love me some Cathay, and the best lounge I have ever been in was The Wing at HKG. Brilliant. You'll find a very luxurious experience, and I think you'll find the showers more than adequate. You will be using the Cathay lounges at Shanghai and HKG. Cathay has two other lounges in HKG, so find the one that is easiest to your gate, but I absolutely love the Wing.

Just a piece of advice. The service on Cathay is great on the ground as well. If you're not sure of something, find one of the ladies in a red Cathay uniform and just ask. The whole staff was very helpful in my experience.

Let us know how it goes, and enjoy your trip!

Cdnblue likes this.
  5. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Dr Jack - I'm so excited! Thanks for the response. I'm putting the rest of my travel together now too. I have the SW CP so booking long weekends like mad!

YULtide likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely missed it, sorry i provided the incorrect info, but at least the link led you to the right place.

Cdnblue likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on your first redemption! :cool:

Cdnblue likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    :-( Spelled my name wrong :-(

haha But glad you got your redemption. If you need help/tips/pointers on BKK I'm sure multiple people here will be able to help. I Just came back from BKK on January, so I'm sure I can help guide you. (not to mention I am Thai ... my name means the crazy kid)

Anyways ... pack light. March is right next to April, which is Thai New Years = Hot Hot Hot.

Otherwise enjoy

Cdnblue likes this.
  9. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Thanks!

YULtide likes this.
  10. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Booked the VIE hotel in Bangkok at a rate of just over $100/night. I have a status with Accor so figured this would be a good play. Booked Le Meridien in Phuket for the second half of trip with 5th night free on points for 8,000 starpoints/night.

11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yo Momma-

Great work. Now you should just change your plans to arrange for a stopover in Hong Kong!

As I think you know, we were in Thailand in January. I learned about our Bangkok tour company on these boards and we had wonderful experiences.

The link to the company is http://www.tourwithtong.com/. Just so you know, she is not the best at getting back to you until a few months before the trip. We had three days booked in Bangkok. Each day includes a guide, a car and a driver. Our most memorable experience was the VIP Tiger Temple tour (on the website above) and while not cheap (as opposed to everything else in Thailand) it was very, very special.

Finally, hang out on the destinations area and the Thailand thread and make good friends with Kalboz. Simply no words to describe how helpful and gracious he is and he will be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Thailand was truly magical and the fact that you'll get there in the front of the plane makes it all the better! Happy trails!

Traveling Momma likes this.
  12. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Fabulous Steven! We did reach out to Tong re: tours so will take your suggestion to heart. Kalboz is my new BFF too. Welcome home. Were you going to write up a trip report? If so, I'll look for it.

TM.