First formal confirmation that continental.com is the survivor?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Via unitedhub.com

http://hub.united.com/News/Web/Pages/the-future-of-united.com.aspx

With United and Continental merging to form a single company, it’s necessary to make a transition from two separate websites that use different reservation systems to one website with a single reservation system.

continental.com look and functionality but with the United name

Late in the first quarter of 2012, we will move to continental.com as the unified United website. At that time, you'll see the same look, feel and navigation that you see today on continental.com, but it will have the Web address www.united.com. You can start getting familiar with how things are organized on the continental.com website.

We put considerable thought into selecting the right system going forward and consider continental.com and its reservation system to be the better option for the new United. We recognize that this may result in changes in the way you manage your travel. However, we believe that this selection will help enable us to meet our main goal, which is to enable you to have the best possible travel experience.

Titans26, TAHKUCT, FlyingFree and 8 others like this.
  2. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like the partner award booking function, the calendar layout and they disclose the taxes!

Titans26, LETTERBOY and EX-LAX like this.
  3. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising. I'm just more looking forward to UA moving past these technology hurdles especially for mixed itineraries.

On an OT note, I hadn't seen this United Hub site before. Seems like they should had this site up about a year ago. http://hub.united.com/Pages/default.aspx

EX-LAX and DCA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This had to happen and one system had to be picked, so I will not make anything of it. The program that I care about, MP, not only retained the name from the "old United" but also a lot of the features that I, as a top elite, cared about. MP was the better FF program and the new MP is much like the old MP, although not identical,which would be too much to expect. I should say that the merged company has attempted to retain each individual company's strong suit, e.g., E+. Remember months of speculation at the "other site" about whether Smisek, the money hungry CEO, would sacrifice our beloved E+ at the altar of corporate greed? The right call was made in the case of E+, and getting rid of .bomb can only be seen as a Good Move...

Let's get over it...talks of "survivor" are not fruitful anymore. The deal is done, and, so far, I am happy about the merger with respect to things that I care about, and, in fact, even more (e.g., countless ways now to fly to Latin and South America, where United had no presence to speak of, and even get lifetime miles!!!)...

5. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    To the PMUA elites who hate the merger and hate Smisek, is this another example of a change you don't like? I'd enjoy see someone trying to defend united.com and why they'd want to keep it over continental.com.

I'm a PMUA elite and I like the fact that UA is adopting E+ fleet-wide, like that UA is giving up Starnet blocking, and like that UA is adopting the technology from continental.com. Good moves all.

FlyingFree, Scottrick, Tiki and 3 others like this.
  6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am all in favor of them going to Continental.com. United.com sucked.

If you look carefully at your United mobile boarding passes, you'll see that the barcode is served from a Continental webserver. :)

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this is the first public confirmation I've seen, though it wasn't actually supposed to be public yet. :oops:

8. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many moons ago "United Connection" was very user friendly, however since it wasn't broken it needed fixin' and we were switched to "United.com" which was, and still is, a piece of crap.
    I can't wait until I don't have to log onto that site anymore!

meFIRST, mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  9. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my beefs with CO.com is that if you have a reservation open, the agent on the other end of the phone can't modify it. Seems silly.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't quite see why they'd be hesitant to share this information once the decision is firm.

(for what it's worth, my "source" is FT)

Flyer1976, mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My beef is that if I have a mixed itinerary (outbound Co & return UA) and I have been upgraded on the UA portion (CR1 or SWU), I cannot get my boarding pass 24 hours or less prior to the Co flight. Even after calling Co res I am told that I need to go to the airport to obtain my boarding pass and Co res cannot sync the reservation. This happened 8 times this year already and I have 13 more in the first quarter of 2012. At the United club last week the kind lady gave me an 800 # to call if it happens again, but I have my doubts that I won't need to go out a day early to get my bp until these 2 airlines are fully merged. Getting the boarding pass on the day of the flight doesn't work for me because all my outbounds are around 6 a.m. and I kind of like looking to see where I am on the upgrade list, which isn't visible until I'm checked in.

When I do go to the airport the agent types for about 10 secs and hands me my boarding pass and if I'm lucky I can make it back to my car and get out of the parking garage within15 mins, saving me the 2 bucks min fee. Now I ask, why can't CO res do the typing, saving me this continual hassle and inconvenience?

Again, as I mentioned I am told that since I received prior upgrades on UAL on a mixed itinerary my record becomes un-synced and I must get my boarding pass at the airport and cannot check-in online.

A real PITA!!!

Seacarl and Scottrick like this.
  12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has said it publicly a few times now. They mentioned it the other night on Twitter in their chat session.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's a PITA for some is a tempest in the tea pot for others :). Remember, they are trying to integrate two airlines, and there are bound to be small issues that will be patched over :D

I for one am looking forward to actually seeing certain .bomb OLCI bugs go away that for years have caused OLCI failures with pure UA itins.

EX-LAX likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe this page was actually published before that chat. That said, prior to that chat I hadn't heard any company official state such "on the record" though MANY have confirmed it in private conversations. That's the main difference.

mht_flyer and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather deal with a tea pot than airport traffic 2 times to make one trip!!!;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like seeing my name on the list, too, but not that much. Yikes.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They registered the domain in late 2009, if I recall correctly.

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great news. As mainly CO flyer makes it easier to keep a familiar website.

meFIRST likes this.
  19. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    and it's an user-friendly website versus UA.BUMB...

LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  20. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed less cluttered.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising at as as CO.com has been widely recognized as the industry standard (not that is saying much) website.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  22. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Signature lines just keep getting larger and more obtrusive.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hide 'em.

24. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    But did they have any content?

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member